Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Hola

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nelsonnick

PostSubject: Hola   Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:45 am

HI guys
Im Nick, from Nelson, though i work on a fishing boat in Argentina (about 20 weeks a year). The rest of the time i play in my shed (and look after kids etc).
Once i had a 1969 Bonneville, I had a 80's Sportster, couple of other uninteresting things, heaps dirt bikes.
Now, after two divorces, four kids, child support, a new house and baby I am relegated to mucking round with my new project, a SAVAGE....which actually is coming along very cool. Its the first bike i am bobbing, i wish for a hardtail HD at some stage. I have two Savages now, one in parts, which i will put back together, and one close to going, can ride it now but need few more bits. I have rebored one engine, ported, high lift cam, sorting either quiksilver of Blue Magnum carb now, (have both but need correct needles etc), bigger bore exhaust, so the engines reasonably strong now. The other i will bore out a tad and do the same stuff. Its all being done on the suoper cheap, but as not in a hurry am finding the bits here and there.
Cheers and enjoy the bikes and chat on here

Nick
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Irishjon
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hola   Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:44 am

Hi Nick. Welcome aboard. Good to have more South Island guys. Get some pics of the bikes posted. We like pictures. the Savage is a real popular bike to chop in the UK and there's plenty of ideas out there. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

View user profile http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Hola   Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:35 pm

Hey Nick good to have you here. Always liked savages.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://bobbers-r-us.weebly.com/
nelsonnick

PostSubject: Re: Hola   Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks guys, pics will come soon as i get home, at sea at moment...
Actually i really enjoy riding it, and the belt drive is cool, with a bit more grunt it makes it not a bad wee machine. Cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
martybadaz

PostSubject: Re: Hola   Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi Nick...good to see another newbee here like me.Welcome .....Cheers Marty Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Hola   Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:59 pm

Hey Nick welcome aboard mate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ftw-nz.blogspot.co.nz/
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Hola   Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:34 pm

cheers nick, welcome... nothing like a big single..

have fun with it, look fwd to pics when you get 2 land..

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
milk bar cowboy
Mechanic
Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Hola   Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:44 pm

Gday Nick. A Savage done as a cafe racer or old old Pommy single would look cool. Or as a rigid. This old fulla "Blue" who used to drink in the Occidental before it got yuppyafied had the meanest Matchless 500 single in a rigid with 8 inch over and frame rake. Anyway Nick, don't get a "Hola" in ya boat, and make it back dry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nelsonnick

PostSubject: Savage Cafe   Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:01 am

Cheers, this boat is older than me, does have the odd small leak, the other day we were round the Cape Horn and when rolling i spotted a gueyser comin in the side of the factory when the hole went under the water, she's getting fairly thin. Anyway, will make it back to the shed all good.
Cheers
pale
Thats a cool cafe savage which i have been thinking about for my second frame....just gave me some ideas...
www.rycamotors.com

Back to top Go down
View user profile
milk bar cowboy
Mechanic
Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Hola   Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Cool site. Does duct tape work fixing holes in boats? works good for lts of other things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Hola   Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:56 pm

nelsonnick wrote:
Cheers, this boat is older than me, does have the odd small leak, the other day we were round the Cape Horn and when rolling i spotted a gueyser comin in the side of the factory when the hole went under the water, she's getting fairly thin. Anyway, will make it back to the shed all good.

what's the hull constructed of?
Back to top Go down
nelsonnick

PostSubject: Re: Hola   Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Its steel, 65metres long, i am the NZ representative factory manager?quality control, Sealords owns company but i am only kiwi onboard.
In the factory there has been leaks from cracks on the deck, hidden behind insulation, water has run down and made it thin in places, i would say theres more than the one hole, thats just one i saw when the insulation was taken off to repair a hyd leak.
And duct tape, you aint far off, the Argentinian engineers patched it with JB Weld type stuff..... tell ya, if i werent so easy going i would not be here. Its sister ship sunk last year. Might be time to find a new job..
Cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Hola   Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:29 pm

nelsonnick wrote:
Its steel, 65metres long, i am the NZ representative factory manager?quality control, Sealords owns company but i am only kiwi onboard.
In the factory there has been leaks from cracks on the deck, hidden behind insulation, water has run down and made it thin in places, i would say theres more than the one hole, thats just one i saw when the insulation was taken off to repair a hyd leak.
And duct tape, you aint far off, the Argentinian engineers patched it with JB Weld type stuff..... tell ya, if i werent so easy going i would not be here. Its sister ship sunk last year. Might be time to find a new job..
Cheers
as long as the bilge pumps are working :-)
Back to top Go down
nelsonnick

PostSubject: Re: Hola   Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:40 pm

True, they do, big kick arse pumps in the factory, all good
Back to top Go down
View user profile
milk bar cowboy
Mechanic
Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Hola   Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:55 pm

I once saw a hole in a primary on a Fatboy fixed with chewing gum and duct tape after a session of vigourous cornering.

So does the boat make land fall in south america at all? Get to check out the bikes over there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nelsonnick

PostSubject: Re: Hola   Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:51 pm

yeah, i spend time in Buenos Aires and Ushuaia, which is the home port, have seen lots of Chile, Bolivia, Peru, and Argentina. And, not really that classy, bikes a bit like Thailand, 125cc stuff, quite a few dirt bikes, just noticing the wearing of helmets more and more now. Theres for sure a fair bit of vintage and classic stuff around in various states of disrepair (cars also), i need time to track stuff down, could be a good place to get cheap projects if i could fill a container. But so far to travel between towns makes it hard, just getting spanish down so i can communicate better now. The older stuff i have seen has been CZ, Jawa etc, not quite what i would like, but a bit of british stuff in sheds for sure. Last used 1954 type things. Just need sufficient time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
milk bar cowboy
Mechanic
Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Hola   Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:00 pm

There's a silver lining to every cloud. Once yer spanish gets better you'll find it easier. I bet its bloody cold there at the moment. Luke and I went for a put down to Te awamutu on saturday. Absolutely beautiful in Auck, not a cloud in the sky. MINT. Soon as we were over the Bombays, Meremere to be precise, we hit the fog. All the bloody way to T.A. And back. We were dressed for it, but fu*k it was cold. Got some good bits for the project sporty though.

Do you have a workshop on the boat to play in?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hola   Today at 3:22 pm

Back to top Go down

Hola
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1