Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! Empty
PostSubject: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 3:24 pm

one of those days?
The enfield sold the day after I listed it, last week. The purchaser in Timaru has paid for it, & Bike tranz are gonna pick it up later this week. Today when I gave it a run it conked. Now wont start. Has spark. Cleaned out float bowl & needles/jets. Dunno? anyhelp appreciated.
Im not clued up on points etc so dunno if anything happened there.
Im gonna contact the purchaser & offer his money back.
Back to top Go down
http://bobbers-r-us.weebly.com/
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 4:01 pm

When I first checked for spark it didnt have it. Then I went back cos I thought i might not have turned the key on, & that time it had spark. This last time it actually doesnt have spark (yes key is on) so I think an intermittent prob with getting a spark, maybe plug, or coil lead, or coil? Im gettin new plug in the morning, anyone know how to check a coil lead or coil for faults?
if changing coil lead does voltage matter(do i have to get a 6v one?) - it's 6v. cheers

(have contacted purchaser & offered money back).
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 5:44 pm

LOL so noone on this forum can tell me how to test a coil lead or coil? I have an ammeter thing here, but dunno what to do with it hehe.
I feel sorry for the fellah what bought it - but i guess it's better than if he got it and it conked on him on the first day ! woulda felt badly bout that, so Im happy really that I've got an opportunity to get it sorted before someone takes it over
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:08 pm

ok then lick your finger and stick it in the plug cap and hit the start button or kick it over it will be obvious if it sparks or not

no need to thank me im here to help
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:33 pm

yeah thanx Mike think i'll give that method a miss
i guess if noone on here knows how to use the ammeter to check the lead & coil then I might go to the local Sparky & get them to bench test it
Back to top Go down
flea2008
Mechanic
Mechanic
flea2008

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:42 pm

shove a peace of wire in the cap and hold it against the head(like you would test with a plug) it should spark if this fails hold on to the bugger ya should know ten bro.
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:49 pm

flea2008 wrote:
shove a peace of wire in the cap and hold it against the head(like you would test with a plug) it should spark if this fails hold on to the bugger ya should know ten bro.

Yeah I find the last suggestion the best. Laughing But you have to kick it over real fast Brett that's the secret. affraid
Back to top Go down
http://ftw-nz.blogspot.co.nz/
Slaytanica
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Slaytanica

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 9:07 pm

brett7777 wrote:
LOL so noone on this forum can tell me how to test a coil lead or coil? I have an ammeter thing here, but dunno what to do with it hehe.
I feel sorry for the fellah what bought it - but i guess it's better than if he got it and it conked on him on the first day ! woulda felt badly bout that, so Im happy really that I've got an opportunity to get it sorted before someone takes it over

use a multi meter on ohms, 20k scale if there is one, anything more that 15k ohms is a chuck away, as you are holding the probes on each end move both your hands around to see if there is a break somewhere while watching the meter. is it CDI ign?
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 10:20 pm

Slaytanica wrote:
brett7777 wrote:

use a multi meter on ohms, 20k scale if there is one, anything more that 15k ohms is a chuck away, as you are holding the probes on each end move both your hands around to see if there is a break somewhere while watching the meter. is it CDI ign?

Finally Surprised yeah ive got a 20k scale on ohms, do i just put on the coil pos & neg terminals? points ignition. points visibly look ok & are opening & closing.
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 10:23 pm

thats for the lead ?? yeah??
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 10:26 pm

mike wrote:
thats for the lead ?? yeah??

o yeah i think you're right there Mike - thanks
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 10:34 pm

with pins on each end of lead, jumps to about 3 or 5, then to 0.
any ideas on how to test coil?
Back to top Go down
Slaytanica
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Slaytanica

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 10:42 pm

yeah thats for the lead, if it goes to 0/infinity then there is a break in the lead, as for the coil you need the specs on how much resistance should be in the primary and secondry windings, start with a new lead and see where that goes
Back to top Go down
Slaytanica
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Slaytanica

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 10:51 pm

primary winding should be something like 1/2 to 1 1/2 ohms, the secondry will be up around 6000 up to 12000ohms
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 11:04 pm

so u think by that reading that the lead is stuffed? do ya know if the leads are voltage rated ie, can I just buy a 12v type lead even tho it's a 6v bike.
the coil says on it 1.3-1.8 ohms. how do i go about testing it with the ammeter? it's outta the bike at the mo. does it need to be in the bike & wired up to test it?
btw cheers for the help
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 3:38 pm

hey thanks for the help Shaun, (proper real actual help, others please take frickin note) (frickin is a Christian swearword) & thankyou the rest of you for the many suggestions on how to experience some high voltage rock n roll.
turns out the buyer is knowledgeable in classic bikes & knows a thing or two so is happy to go ahead with the sale & fix it himself, so it's off into the Bike tranz truck tommorow. cheers
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 5:04 pm

well fuk me for being a smart arse i went to adjust the timing on an car at work today grabed the dizzy and go a good 8-10 blasts right thru me and out the other hand shit it woke me up pretty fast Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 6:36 pm

mike wrote:
well fuk me for being a smart arse i went to adjust the timing on an car at work today grabed the dizzy and go a good 8-10 blasts right thru me and out the other hand shit it woke me up pretty fast Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Got any video footage mike. Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil youtube that sucker. Wink
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 6:53 pm

na but it wodda been funny im sure well it alwayse is wen some one else does it What a Face
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 6:57 pm

Yeah your right there mate, I'm still laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Slaytanica
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Slaytanica

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 7:21 pm

No worries mate, just for info you meed a meter that measures ohms, amps are different. an ohmeter puts a small current down the probes and measures the resistance, ammeter measures current already flowing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!   Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...! Empty

Back to top Go down

Paid for...ready to ship...stopped running...bit of a prob...!
Page 1 of 1