Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Twice in one day!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Slaytanica
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Twice in one day!   Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Well its official, I got pulled over twice today, once on my way to work and once on the way home.

The first cop came straight up to me and said hello we have a new campaign going, we have to pull over at least 2 bikes a day!

he asked to see my licence, and checked the rego and wof, i didnt have a wof but i had taken it in last friday because it had expiried, but i wasnt ready for the check cause i still had no front fender and no indicators, i just needed the paper so i could ride it and not get hasseld.

I had the indicators and fender on today and told him i was getting the wof this arvo, he still gave me a ticket for no wof but said get it in 14 days and take the ticket to the nearest station and they will pretty much tear it up, no worries about that, and he sent me on my way all happy as, didnt even mention the side mount.

on the way home though was a different story, he pulled me over because of the side mount, i politely told him how the wording in the regs is up to interpretation but he wouldnt have it, i even mentioned trailers and he reckons they will be pulling them over too. i didnt get a ticket but he did ask me to change it so that the letters are upright.

looks like i will be making a new bracket so the plate is horizontal, it will still be side mounted just spun 90degs.

So make sure we are all reged wofed and licenced out there.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The_Lone_Rider
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Hmmm, sounds like it's time to make some phone calls and try for some information on their new campaign.

I haven't heard of anyone lots being pulled over down here, but in saying that I did get pulled over last week for no reason.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://th13teenmagazine.webs.com
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:45 pm

yep.. words out, they are doing a campaign this week (weekend) on motorcycles..

watch out...

i'm about to swear! %^%^$*&^#!!!!!!

that feels a little better!

Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:47 pm

i think it's about time they arrest some real criminals
hey Shaun you can change to the square upright plate if u want, order it at vtnz etc, $9, it wont stick out as far as the normal one
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://bobbers-r-us.weebly.com/
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:53 pm

A new news release is available for you to view on the Police website:
Title: A month of motorcycles
If you are a motorcyclist or moped rider and are involved in a crash, the risk of you being killed or seriously injured is approximately 18 times greater than if you are in a car.
That is why Highway Patrol staff in Central District are about to embark on a month-long motorcycle safety and awareness campaign.
In Central District alone 14 riders have been killed in the last two years, and New Zealand has seen an increase in deaths since 2005 partly attributed to the quadrupling of motorcycle registrations since 2000.
Senior Sergeant Kris Burbery said: "Fuel prices, congestion, environmental awareness, and a rise in popularity among more mature riders has also accounted for some of the increase."
From Monday, 15 November, through to Sunday 19 December, Police will be proactively speaking to motorcycle and moped riders. They will be focusing on vehicle conditions, safety equipment, clothing, licences, rider behaviour and legal compliance.
Checkpoints and surveys will also be a part of the campaign with the support of partners agencies such as ACC. All motorcyclists and moped riders will be provided with a safety flyer.
"The risks are particularly high for this specific group of motorists. We fully accept that crashes involving motorcyclists are not always the fault of the rider, but there are still safety measures riders can take to improve their chances,' said Senior Sergeant Burbery. "A number of police staff are avid motorcyclists, so we are personally aware of the danger and vulnerability of being on a motorcycle.
"Although enforcement will be an element of the campaign, the primary focus is education and promoting improved safety and riding practices. Longer days and warmer weather will see more riders take to the roads and we want them to make sure that they get home again safely.
"We hope this operation will give us a good understanding of motorcycles and motorcyclists in the District and a success for us would be to find that our riders are travelling safely, their bikes are up to standard and they have the required licences."
Some key safety tips are as follows:
• Make sure you have appropriate licence for the size of motorcycle.
• Ensure the vehicle is safe, registered and warranted.
• Make sure you wear the appropriate safety clothing and footwear. No bare skin and jandals!
• Make sure you wear an approved safety helmet.
• It is mandatory to always have a headlight on if riding on a motorcycle on the road.
• Ensure you comply with any conditions of a graduated (learner or restricted) drivers' licence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The_Lone_Rider
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:08 pm

Any word on if this is occuring nationwide?

I can't help but think given my random pull over last week, it's connected.
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:09 pm

jon61 wrote:
A new news release is available for you to view on the Police website:
Title: A month of motorcycles
If you are a motorcyclist or moped rider and are involved in a crash, the risk of you being killed or seriously injured is approximately 18 times greater than if you are in a car.
That is why Highway Patrol staff in Central District are about to embark on a month-long motorcycle safety and awareness campaign.
In Central District alone 14 riders have been killed in the last two years, and New Zealand has seen an increase in deaths since 2005 partly attributed to the quadrupling of motorcycle registrations since 2000.
Senior Sergeant Kris Burbery said: "Fuel prices, congestion, environmental awareness, and a rise in popularity among more mature riders has also accounted for some of the increase."
From Monday, 15 November, through to Sunday 19 December, Police will be proactively speaking to motorcycle and moped riders. They will be focusing on vehicle conditions, safety equipment, clothing, licences, rider behaviour and legal compliance.
Checkpoints and surveys will also be a part of the campaign with the support of partners agencies such as ACC. All motorcyclists and moped riders will be provided with a safety flyer.
"The risks are particularly high for this specific group of motorists. We fully accept that crashes involving motorcyclists are not always the fault of the rider, but there are still safety measures riders can take to improve their chances,' said Senior Sergeant Burbery. "A number of police staff are avid motorcyclists, so we are personally aware of the danger and vulnerability of being on a motorcycle.
"Although enforcement will be an element of the campaign, the primary focus is education and promoting improved safety and riding practices. Longer days and warmer weather will see more riders take to the roads and we want them to make sure that they get home again safely.
"We hope this operation will give us a good understanding of motorcycles and motorcyclists in the District and a success for us would be to find that our riders are travelling safely, their bikes are up to standard and they have the required licences."
Some key safety tips are as follows:
• Make sure you have appropriate licence for the size of motorcycle.
• Ensure the vehicle is safe, registered and warranted.
• Make sure you wear the appropriate safety clothing and footwear. No bare skin and jandals!
• Make sure you wear an approved safety helmet.
• It is mandatory to always have a headlight on if riding on a motorcycle on the road.
• Ensure you comply with any conditions of a graduated (learner or restricted) drivers' licence.

The usual REVENUE GATHERING disguised as education.
Back to top Go down
The_Lone_Rider
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:29 pm

Couldn't find anything on the police website

One thing to mention... ALWAYS get a business card off any officer who tickets you, particularly if you are going to contest it. In addition, ask for their badge number and the full name of who they report to.

I've found that handy in the past.
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:26 am

Did he give you the safety flyer shaun? what a crock I have been road riding for 35 years and in this time I have had one serious accident which was two years ago and funnily enough not caused by me but an idiot doing a u-turn on a motorway with this much much road riding you get a certain amount of awareness of the thing's around you that can cause accidents but I do think some form of training would help going by the number of crashed bikes we get at work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slaytanica
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:02 am

Na i didnt get a safety flyer Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:39 am

If you don’t get a safety flyer and ask for one...

Is he doing his job properly and then are you being a p(!(# to him and evoking a response that would result in a ticket...

dam... I’m so tempted....

geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Irishjon
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:18 pm

If you get the square plates I expect you have to get a new number. Does that mean you get a new WOF anf Rego sticker as well? Might be the way to go for me. I have 3 bikes with welded on side mounts and I don't want to cut them off.

View user profile http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:50 pm

Irishjon wrote:
If you get the square plates I expect you have to get a new number. Does that mean you get a new WOF anf Rego sticker as well? Might be the way to go for me. I have 3 bikes with welded on side mounts and I don't want to cut them off.

hey Irish I just talked with AA at westgate today about it. they ring and order it & you come back the next day & get it. grand fee of $9. yes number changes, just a new rego sticker I believe. i told 'em some local boys might be in soon Smile
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:42 pm

Cheers Brett. I'll try it on the Ironhead and see how it goes.

View user profile http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
Slaytanica
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:18 pm

Our sticker machine has some reflective vinyl, might get a licence sticker made like this, obviously with my reg number but with the letters upright like so

Back to top Go down
View user profile
flea2008
Mechanic
Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:38 pm

thats the ticket bro and it looks cool .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:19 pm

yeah that's cool Shaun i think yer onto something there...i think it would need to look exactly like a plate cos i heard some of the cars with vinyl numbers stuck on them got ticketed too...but i reckon if it looks just like a plate then can they complain? how much would those cost if any of us want them - & what's the best thing to stick 'em onto do u think?
Back to top Go down
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:33 pm

stick it over the original plate...

scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slaytanica
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:34 pm

can just stick it on some sheet metal, its pretty hard wearing stuff.

i was talking to a mate today that has a TL1000R and he made a side mount with a real extreme curve and got pulled up on it, the cop said that it cant be curved and had to be "upright" which is not on an angle/tilt. guys with licence plates in the front windscreen arent "upright". thats what the law is refering to.

more ammo for us
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:07 pm

Slaytanica wrote:
the cop said that it cant be curved and had to be "upright" which is not on an angle/tilt. guys with licence plates in the front windscreen arent "upright". thats what the law is refering to.

more ammo for us

yeah that's correct. the intent of the law wasnt to stop side mounting, it was cos with the angled/tilted forward fender tidy's that are sold for sportbikes, some put it on an angle so the plate cant be seen properly, deliberately, to avoid speeding tickets. that's the intent, not this anal stuff bout puttin it on the side. in fact if u look at the wof regs carefully, there is an exception there for American bikes that are designed that way (as most of those expensive choppers are)
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:34 pm

Yea but stock hd plates are upright
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:38 pm

PAN/SHOVEL wrote:
Yea but stock hd plates are upright
yeh talkin bout big dog etc not stock hd, stock hd upright are gay as we all know, the thing is the imported choppers set a precedent
anyway this gettin too anal for me now...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Twice in one day!   Today at 9:39 am

Back to top Go down

Twice in one day!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Grease Monkeys NZ :: General Discussions-
Jump to: