Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

help with chain

Go down 
+2
Paulomatic
mike
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

help with chain Empty
PostSubject: help with chain   help with chain EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 5:57 pm

well im getting ready for a test ride but i seem to have a tight spot in me chain an cant figure out y so far ive checked

sporkets are strait
running true
and i cant see any damage to the teeth
it seems to be when the rear sproket is in the same position
anyone got any more ideas for me??
Back to top Go down
Paulomatic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paulomatic

help with chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with chain   help with chain EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 7:11 pm

How old is the chain? Could it be worn out? Maybe that adaptor on the front sprocket isn't centred?
It's getting really close now mate, The cool thing about seeing the light at the end of the tunnel is you just want to get the thing finished and progress happens in leaps and bounds. There's still plenty of nice riding days left this summer!

Paul
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

help with chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with chain   help with chain EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 7:11 pm

Just thinking it thru logically, with everything else you've checked like them running true, the only thing I can think of is that one of your sprockets is not a 'perfect circle' ie. that it is ever so slightly oval somewhere, or off centre. Could that be a possibility?
If it's a possibility, is where a way to check that? ie. running something out from the exact centre of the sprockets to the outside diameter, sorta like dividers but would need to be something that worked for this situation...? Or measurements from centre?
Back to top Go down
http://bobbers-r-us.weebly.com/
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

help with chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with chain   help with chain EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 7:33 pm

ok so the chain is new
the front sproket is perfect and it seem to be consistent with the rear spoket location
ive checked both sprokets for run out with a pointer atached to the frame and cant see any thing ov concern on both planes
fuck it i wanna take it for a spin to morow ill get back in the shed in a hr or so and see if i cant crack it
any more suggestions????
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

help with chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with chain   help with chain EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 7:38 pm

maybe try spinning it & try observing what is 'different' when it hits the tight spot; & maybe play around with moving it right on the tight spot & see if you can see what's causing it? may become evident as you keep looking.
you can always use my way...pray
Back to top Go down
http://bobbers-r-us.weebly.com/
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

help with chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with chain   help with chain EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 7:54 pm

Mike Ive never owned a bike yet that didn't have a tight spot somewhere in it.
The trick is to adjust the chain at the tight spot for the correct chain tension mate.
Hope that helps. scratch
Back to top Go down
http://ftw-nz.blogspot.co.nz/
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

help with chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with chain   help with chain EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 8:05 pm

Woody wrote:
Mike Ive never owned a bike yet that didn't have a tight spot somewhere in it.
The trick is to adjust the chain at the tight spot for the correct chain tension mate.
Hope that helps. scratch

arhh shit like this pisses me off its not a massive tight spot humm thinks ill get my ass out there in a min
mabe ill get it running a foreget about the chain alltogether Embarassed
brett
ive looked at the chain from every angle tight not tight grrrr Evil or Very Mad humm praying ill take a pass on that Evil or Very Mad he he
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

help with chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with chain   help with chain EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 8:15 pm

help with chain Tumblr_l5mufnKRIV1qz6f9yo1_500
Back to top Go down
http://ftw-nz.blogspot.co.nz/
The_Lone_Rider
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
The_Lone_Rider

help with chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with chain   help with chain EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 8:30 pm

What do you mean by a tight spot?

Could it possibly be just a faulty new chain? If the inner Orings are off in one of the links it can bind and go funny.
Back to top Go down
http://th13teenmagazine.webs.com
Slaytanica
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Slaytanica

help with chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with chain   help with chain EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 11:00 am

Yeah mark the link and chain in the tight spot and spin it to see if its the sprocket or the chain thats consistant
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

help with chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with chain   help with chain Empty

Back to top Go down

help with chain
Page 1 of 1