Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

starter relay????

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DEATH*TRAP

DEATH*TRAP

starter relay???? Empty
PostSubject: starter relay????   starter relay???? EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 2:00 pm

im on the final stages of geting my bike runing number 2 lol pic up soon only just got net here at the shop Very Happy i want to knw how important is a starter relay i didn't run 1 last time an had no problems with the starter switch melting or anything like that but now i have brand new starter motor an solenoid an i don't wanna damage them Sad me an wires don't go to well but im not running lights or nothing just everything to start an keep the bike running.. i wood much rather not run 1 but do you guys think il hav to have one????? cherz dave.
Back to top Go down
Slaytanica
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Slaytanica

starter relay???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: starter relay????   starter relay???? EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 5:00 pm

yeah mate pays to run a relay, or your start button or key will weld closed with all the current running thru it.

is it HD starter? i got one of those push button solenoid cover things for HD starter somewhere
Back to top Go down
DEATH*TRAP

DEATH*TRAP

starter relay???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: starter relay????   starter relay???? EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Slaytanica wrote:
yeah mate pays to run a relay, or your start button or key will weld closed with all the current running thru it.

is it HD starter? i got one of those push button solenoid cover things for HD starter somewhere

can the switch or key only weld its self when crankn the motor over or can thy melt well the motor is runing? i dont thnk thy genuine Harley parts i got frm ebay vtwin manufacturing i think.. this is how iv got it wired now.. but with a fuse frm solenoid to ing switch or reg mayb... it was fine didnt heat up wires but i just dont wana damage my new starter motor but it not a road legal bike so not guna ride it much..
Back to top Go down
DEATH*TRAP

DEATH*TRAP

starter relay???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: starter relay????   starter relay???? EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 5:34 pm

i cant figer out how to put a pic up to show u the diogram of how iv got it wired
Back to top Go down
Slaytanica
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Slaytanica

starter relay???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: starter relay????   starter relay???? EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 8:09 pm

na it can heat up the contacts inside the switch/key while its cranking, all the current is going from the battery thru the key/switch then to the solenoid. it wont hurt the solenoid or the starter but it might crap out after a while especially if you need to crank it for ages.

just for info, you use a relay so you can switch something that draws a lot of current eg starter, with a circuit that doesnt need as much current, or that goes thru switches and keys etc, the solenoid on the starter is in itself another relay.

even higher wattage headlights should run thru a relay

That concludes todays wiring lesson Sleep
hope this helps mate
Back to top Go down
DEATH*TRAP

DEATH*TRAP

starter relay???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: starter relay????   starter relay???? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 11:29 am

starter relay???? 1[img]starter relay???? Diogra10[/img]
Back to top Go down
DEATH*TRAP

DEATH*TRAP

starter relay???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: starter relay????   starter relay???? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 11:33 am

finaly sused how to put pics up! afro [img]starter relay???? Travol10[/img]
Back to top Go down
fokpac
Mechanic
Mechanic
fokpac

starter relay???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: starter relay????   starter relay???? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 2:05 pm

ya diagram has a relay...its labelled cyl... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
DEATH*TRAP

DEATH*TRAP

starter relay???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: starter relay????   starter relay???? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:47 pm

fokpac wrote:
ya diagram has a relay...its labelled cyl... Rolling Eyes
thats the starter solenoid? scratch
Back to top Go down
Slaytanica
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Slaytanica

starter relay???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: starter relay????   starter relay???? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 10:37 pm

yeah solenoid is a relay, the problem is modern switches and key barrel cant handle much current because they are compact and have small internal contacts and have relays in the factory wiring, you can get switches and keys that are designed to take more current but they are usually bigger in size and harder to hide
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

starter relay???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: starter relay????   starter relay???? Empty

Back to top Go down

starter relay????
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Grease Monkeys NZ :: The Build Files :: Build help required-
Jump to: