Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

21" rim - scored one!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Shay
Apprentice
Apprentice

21" rim - scored one! Empty
PostSubject: 21" rim - scored one!   21" rim - scored one! EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 8:37 pm

Found one on Trademe, thanks folks.

Last edited by Shay on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: 21" rim - scored one!   21" rim - scored one! EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 9:31 pm

No fr brake huh,guess you don't like living much
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: 21" rim - scored one!   21" rim - scored one! EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 10:04 pm

A much larger percentage of a bike's stopping power is in the front brake. If you go without that you reduce the stopping power of the bike majorly. When you have to emergency brake, you REALLY want that front brake there. Enough said.
Back to top Go down
http://bobbers-r-us.weebly.com/
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: 21" rim - scored one!   21" rim - scored one! EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 10:29 pm

Haven't you seen the car drivers in this country,oh yea and how would it be vinned? don't get me wrong If I was just building a show bike I would fit a spool hub but as I commute 38km ea way to work I would have been dead years ago running no fr brake.
Back to top Go down
Shay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: 21" rim - scored one!   21" rim - scored one! EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:08 pm

I know what you are saying, and I've spent two years commuting 28ks into Welly and five years going 16ks each way in Auck, so I definitely know the value of a front brake when shit's trumps. BUT, there is actually a lot of bullshit out there about how much of your stopping power is in your front brake (I have heard up to 70% which is crap in most bikes, particularly cruisers which tend to have a heavier weight distribution on the rear wheel). Anyway - bottomline - this bike is for play not work so I think I can afford to suck up a bit of risk. Hey, if I really wanted to be safe I would drive a British sports car and be an accountant! ha ha
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: 21" rim - scored one!   21" rim - scored one! EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Its not bullshit.75% does come from the fr had to use all of my xr1200's last nite on the motorway,and a good friend of mine raced a tz 250 yamaha race bike and on the back we had an alloy disc with holes in it just enough so the pads wouldn't fall through the holes just to pass tech inspection why? because he didn't use the back brake at all when racing and that boy was good to watch as he sailed into corners with the wheel 8-10" off the ground,who was he multi time I.O.M WINNER and wgtn lad bruce anstey,but hey knock yourself out oh and tell when you are going for a w.o.f as I want to see them pass a bike with no fr brake as its never been done at our shop so you might be the first.
Back to top Go down
Shay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: 21" rim - scored one!   21" rim - scored one! EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 9:57 pm

Aha so it is you on the XR1200. I used to commute on a Deuce and we meet and had a chat at the Hayward hill lights once I think.

If WM hasn't given a bike a WOF without a front brake before, maybe it is because the don't get a whole lot of bikes "first registered before 1 February 1977" that could make the stopping distance of 9m at 30kph? I'm going to give it a crack anyway. I'm also looking forward to the discussion in regard to indicators (lack of) and front fender - let me guess - no WOF ever given to a bike without that too right? Well as I was discussing with someone the other day, it just seems wrong and double standards to me that someone with a 32 Ford coupe rod can get a WOF because it is "period correct" when the thing is built out of plastic, circa 2011, and the 32 Ford originally came out with full guards - it's crap! Off my soap box now.

And while I remember, I'm still not sold on the 70 - 75% up front stopping power thing. And for the record, I was never talking race bikes, I said "cruisers".

You have to admit that if you have no front brake than 100% of your braking power must be in your rear wheel right? ha ha A bit more seriously though, if you think about it, as a kid you learn that you need to have your front wheel spinning to do a wheelie, right? And I guess pretty much everyone has noticed how the front wheel of a bicycle on a car will apparently spin by itself when the car is moving, right. Well these are just practical applications of gyroscopic theory, which basically says that about the worst dam thing you can do to the spinning object on the moving object is stop it suddenly i.e. lock your front wheel up. You have got to love that ABS stuff!
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: 21" rim - scored one!   21" rim - scored one! EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 10:25 pm

You have to belong to a hot rod club for a period of years to get a fender exemption,and sorry you have to have a front brake and guard and no indicators were pre 75 ,and I have a 48 preunit in my shed it still has to have a fr brake + guard because it came out with them when they were manufactured no speedo needed though you need to get the wof regs to save you some trouble down the track and is the reg on hold? because have just seen an hd nitester imported into the country that had the rear guard shortened and struts fitted instead of shocks and some other issue's sorry all has to be put back to how it left the factory before it can hit the rd.If it was a ground up custom it would be easier as it needs to be certed b4 vinning,just make it so the bits can be taken of .and my 99 dyna hotrod stops pretty good with two six piston calipers on the fr of it.
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: 21" rim - scored one!   21" rim - scored one! EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:16 pm

ahem. it's actually 77 for the indicators thing, had to check the regs recently.
there are some wof inspectors giving wofs to bikes with struts up here. otherwise we just swap the shocks back on for the wof & then just swap em out again Wink I guess they wouldnt get a vin tho, I spose that's what yer talkin about Doug.

I thought Nightsters already had a bobbed stock rear guard? is that one chopped even more?
Back to top Go down
http://bobbers-r-us.weebly.com/
Shay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: 21" rim - scored one!   21" rim - scored one! EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:50 pm

Yeah, it's 1 February 1977 for brakes, and 1 January 1978. It's a nightmare to find, but the NZ Land Transport rules are all online. I looked them up and extracted the various bits on; indicators, brakes, mirrors, speedos, guards, even reflectors. Because hardtailing the bike is considered a major modification, I'm having to get it inspected for LVVC anyway, so will see how things go. As you say, it is surprising just how much can fall off a bike after it gets a warrant!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 21" rim - scored one!   21" rim - scored one! Empty

Back to top Go down

21" rim - scored one!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Grease Monkeys NZ :: The Build Files :: Parts Wanted-
Jump to: