Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

mikes sportie

Go down 
+8
Slaytanica
jon61
flea2008
PAN/SHOVEL
Woody
brett7777
Irishjon
mike
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

mikes sportie - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 10:12 pm

yeah i agree leafs are cool bounce
but i would probly lean towards an extremaly short springer Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 11:37 pm

yeah i know what rake is.
Im assuming those forks are missing some of their guts, because they're in mockup stage, & that they'd have a few more inches in their height. That being a given, I dont see why they would need more rake. or am i missing something somewherz?
or was Mike thinkin of havin the forks that short ? Ah, I guess he must've been.
If those are 4 x 2's then it's just over the obligatory minimum 4 inches clearance. So yeah I suppose a leaf front end is not a bad idea if u wanted to be that low.
Some say it's good to get the bottom frame rail level/parallel with the ground, I dunno how important that is.
It's interesting that you drunk/hungover dudes realized that was his mockup height & me the sober one thought the forks were just holdin it up & not at the desired height.
It wont make me go back to drinking tho hehe
oh this is too much musings even for a sober human person
Back to top Go down
http://bobbers-r-us.weebly.com/
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 6:49 am

brett7777 wrote:
yeah i know what rake is.
Im assuming those forks are missing some of their guts, because they're in mockup stage, & that they'd have a few more inches in their height. That being a given, I dont see why they would need more rake. or am i missing something somewherz?
or was Mike thinkin of havin the forks that short ? Ah, I guess he must've been.
If those are 4 x 2's then it's just over the obligatory minimum 4 inches clearance. So yeah I suppose a leaf front end is not a bad idea if u wanted to be that low.
Some say it's good to get the bottom frame rail level/parallel with the ground, I dunno how important that is.
It's interesting that you drunk/hungover dudes realized that was his mockup height & me the sober one thought the forks were just holdin it up & not at the desired height.
It wont make me go back to drinking tho hehe
oh this is too much musings even for a sober human person

Sorry Bret I wasn't trying to be a smart ass, I tell you our secret. Down here when we build bikes we have a 4" ride height and if the frame rails arnt parallel to the ground it looks like you f cked something up in your calculations. pale
Mike the short Springer gets my vote too, I just hate those leafers they look like they should be bolted to the back of a Tractor or something. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://ftw-nz.blogspot.co.nz/
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 8:33 am

agreed on the frame rails being near parallel to the ground when they start heading toward's the sky it looks all wrong,what would look cool is if you could make a btm triple clamp with the clamps an 1-1/2-2"higher up the fork legs like a gullwing shape now that would give you travel and if your forks had another 2" and presuming the tyre didn't hit the btm triple clamp.
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 8:35 am

Down here when we build bikes we have a 4" ride height and if the frame rails arnt parallel to the ground it looks like you f cked something up in your calculations. pale

corect i had the springs in the forks and the front was about 8 inches high and i made me wanna hurl i was not good What a Face

well i mite look into making a springer jig then would any one else be intrested in useing a jig if i went to the effort ov making one? Question
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 8:39 am

shit doug that a bloody good ida also do you think u would lift the top clamp also or just the bottom?
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 8:41 am

mike wrote:

Down here when we build bikes we have a 4" ride height and if the frame rails arnt parallel to the ground it looks like you f cked something up in your calculations. pale

corect i had the springs in the forks and the front was about 8 inches high and i made me wanna hurl i was not good What a Face

well i mite look into making a springer jig then would any one else be intrested in useing a jig if i went to the effort ov making one? Question

Hell yeah, I'd be into that Mike. Give me a yell if I can do anything to help with it.
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 8:45 am

PAN/SHOVEL wrote:
agreed on the frame rails being near parallel to the ground when they start heading toward's the sky it looks all wrong,what would look cool is if you could make a btm triple clamp with the clamps an 1-1/2-2"higher up the fork legs like a gullwing shape now that would give you travel and if your forks had another 2" and presuming the tyre didn't hit the btm triple clamp.

Now that's thinking there old man. Too frickin easy bud.
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 9:00 am

now i havent pulled the forks down completly yet could i not shorten the lower leg or is there some thing im missing here Question
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 9:04 am

Screw this, Lets have an emergency meeting at Mikes place today, Anyone keen on a brain storming mission ?????? If so meet up at my place and well take the van up.
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 9:07 am

ha ha should i diall 911 woody ive got beer in me fridge also
but got a friends kids b day to go to at 1 Evil or Very Mad only for an hour or so tho then im back into it
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 2:43 pm

i like this leafer. this bike was at Kumeu
mikes sportie - Page 6 Bobber10
mikes sportie - Page 6 Bobber11
Back to top Go down
EEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
EEL

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 3:28 pm

I called in and saw Mike yesterday coz I was in the neighbourhood. Funnily enough he was working on his bike. Despite all his cursing he's doing a brilliant job and the bike looks sweet in "real life". Hope you've found a solution for those forks Mike.
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 6:12 pm

you probably could get a bit of it off the slider at the top under the dust boot and there should be a wiper seal which you should keep but take the amount off and leave the boot of.
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 7:38 pm

[img][/immikes sportie - Page 6 Springerfrontg]

so ive done some investignationing into the forks and its possible to shorten the lower leg enough to work but now im debating making a springer
humm mite have to leave the front for a while until im decided Suspect

i sorta like the look ov this also
Back to top Go down
Slaytanica
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Slaytanica

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 9:12 pm

go the springer man!
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 5:31 pm

heres the latest pics on its feet next to slaytanicas sporty
[img][/img]mikes sportie - Page 6 100_2180
[img][/img]mikes sportie - Page 6 100_2181
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Slaytanica got his leave pass
Nice black van too
I like that low stance, must be time to do that stuff Woody/Doug was sayin or to make a springer !
Here's another bike i saw somewhere that reminds me a bit of yours, i think he musta used an old bsa headlight?
mikes sportie - Page 6 Carl1810
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 8:29 pm

I like the lines with that tank. You definitely have to keep that 4" clearance so making a springer that suits sound like a plan.
Back to top Go down
http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 8:33 pm

Laughing Hardcore as hell Mike. Laughing
mikes sportie - Page 6 Mikes014
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 8:42 pm

mikes sportie - Page 6 Mikes007

mikes sportie - Page 6 Mikes011

mikes sportie - Page 6 Mikes013

mikes sportie - Page 6 Mikes008
Man that's a hard bike to capture in a photo. You really have to stand beside it to really
appreciate the compact little bundle that it is. Awesome job Mike, I can't wait to see
this prowling the streets. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 8:55 pm

Yea looks good mike,in some pic's above it look's like it slightly slope's down at the front just could be the angle the photo's where taken at.I did get some things done today fired up the maori's shovel after fitting the belt drive and doing some wiring.
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 9:12 pm

mikes sportie - Page 6 Mikes10
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 9:13 pm

yeah doug you got a good eye the bike is at 2 different hights in the front about 1inch difference between them ant the higher ov the 2 gives enough suspension travel to be rideable i think Rolling Eyes
maori's shovel is that its name Question
thanks for the pic woody but like you said it looks twice as high in the photos
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 9:16 pm

mike wrote:
it looks twice as high in the photos

yeah low bikes often do, for some reason, that phototicians would understand
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mikes sportie   mikes sportie - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

mikes sportie
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum