Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Electrical problem, who wants to earn some money.. for Xmas?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Coops
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Coops

Electrical problem, who wants to earn some money.. for Xmas? Empty
PostSubject: Electrical problem, who wants to earn some money.. for Xmas?   Electrical problem, who wants to earn some money.. for Xmas? EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Howdy guys.. and girls, I am finishing off a 81 GSX400 Cafe Racer and am having trouble with an electrical fault.. which goes a little something like this....

I rode the bike for 15 - 20 minutes when the battery went flat and the bike died, crash started and made it home, this lead me to discover a parasitic leak of 2.5ma, I tracked it down to a bad earth of the rectifier, I earthed it directly to the battery and no more leak, mint I thought... battery has been load tested and all was good, I charged it overnight chucked a multimeter on it and got a reading of 13.20V left it connect to the bike and three days later was at 13.10V, today I rode it for again 15 - 20 minutes when I went to start it again the battery was dead, got a slight arrruu instead of the expectant broommm much swearing and name calling later I am now beyond my level of knowledge... I should have paid more attention at school I guess.
It appears to be charging, before fixing the parasitic leak, multimeter gave me a reading of 14+V at the battery at about 3000rpm.
Tomorrow I will take the battery out again, charge it and check again that it is charging while the bike is running.
Watched a YouTube video on how to test the rectifier, and that seemed to be all good.

Anyone out there in Auckland who can help? I am willing and able to pay in cash, alcohol or hugs... I am stumped at the final hurdle, I'm going to have to pay someone to fix this issue so thought I'd give someone on here the chance.
Hopefully its something very simple and will be able to be fixed in no time, I don't mind this and would rather feel inadequate than be sitting in the shed for hours trying to sort this issue out myself, I want to be riding now, not scratching my head.

Thanks guys.
Tim
027 6300017
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: Electrical problem, who wants to earn some money.. for Xmas?   Electrical problem, who wants to earn some money.. for Xmas? EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 8:26 am

I normally hit Scotty up when I have electrical problems. You could try PM'ing him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
Coops
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Coops

PostSubject: Re: Electrical problem, who wants to earn some money.. for Xmas?   Electrical problem, who wants to earn some money.. for Xmas? EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 10:26 am

Thanks Irish, I've PM'd him and will stand by for contact... I'll have another crack at it today.
Again, thanks for the lead.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Coops
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Coops

PostSubject: Re: Electrical problem, who wants to earn some money.. for Xmas?   Electrical problem, who wants to earn some money.. for Xmas? EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 1:40 pm

Update:
So I charged the battery, and it is holding at a healthy 13+V.
Bad news the parasitic leak is back, I earthed the rectifier and the leak was gone (before the latest battery drain, while riding), I tested it several times to just make sure, but now as said it is back at 2.80ma.. Turn the key and it jumps to double that and some…
If I disconnect the rectifier the leak disappears, which points to the rectifier being faulty? How can it pass a diode test and still be faulty?
Or could this be pointing to a faulty starter or starter relay? I had the throttle assembly apart looking for any corroded connections, but all seemed to be good.

Anyone got any ideas? I’m ferken pulling my hair out.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
scotty
Apprentice
Apprentice
scotty

PostSubject: Re: Electrical problem, who wants to earn some money.. for Xmas?   Electrical problem, who wants to earn some money.. for Xmas? EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 9:26 pm

Just replied to PM yes can sort this out this out for ya
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electrical problem, who wants to earn some money.. for Xmas?   Electrical problem, who wants to earn some money.. for Xmas? Empty

Back to top Go down

Electrical problem, who wants to earn some money.. for Xmas?
Page 1 of 1