Howdy guys.. and girls, I am finishing off a 81 GSX400 Cafe Racer and am having trouble with an electrical fault.. which goes a little something like this....
I rode the bike for 15 - 20 minutes when the battery went flat and the bike died, crash started and made it home, this lead me to discover a parasitic leak of 2.5ma, I tracked it down to a bad earth of the rectifier, I earthed it directly to the battery and no more leak, mint I thought... battery has been load tested and all was good, I charged it overnight chucked a multimeter on it and got a reading of 13.20V left it connect to the bike and three days later was at 13.10V, today I rode it for again 15 - 20 minutes when I went to start it again the battery was dead, got a slight arrruu instead of the expectant broommm much swearing and name calling later I am now beyond my level of knowledge... I should have paid more attention at school I guess.
It appears to be charging, before fixing the parasitic leak, multimeter gave me a reading of 14+V at the battery at about 3000rpm.
Tomorrow I will take the battery out again, charge it and check again that it is charging while the bike is running.
Watched a YouTube video on how to test the rectifier, and that seemed to be all good.
Anyone out there in Auckland who can help? I am willing and able to pay in cash, alcohol or hugs... I am stumped at the final hurdle, I'm going to have to pay someone to fix this issue so thought I'd give someone on here the chance.
Hopefully its something very simple and will be able to be fixed in no time, I don't mind this and would rather feel inadequate than be sitting in the shed for hours trying to sort this issue out myself, I want to be riding now, not scratching my head.