Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mudgaurd restrictions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
werndog

Mudgaurd restrictions Empty
PostSubject: Mudgaurd restrictions   Mudgaurd restrictions EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 10:35 pm

Could somebody please shed some light on the legality of mud guards in NZ. I have just bought my first bike ( yamaha SR400 ) and want to strip it down as much as possible without needing certs for W.O.F.

my question is can I get rid of the rear fender all together to get that cafe racer look with just the back of the seat taking some shape of a guard or is there no way around eliminating it for w.o.f purposes?

cheers
Dog
Back to top Go down
Coops
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Coops

PostSubject: Re: Mudgaurd restrictions   Mudgaurd restrictions EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 10:59 am

I have no rear guard on my Café Racer, however the rear racing tail section covers enough of the rear wheel for it to be legit … if you search the LTSA or similar sites you will find the exact percentage of rear wheel that is required to be covered.
Short answer, you will need some sort of guard extending past the back of the seat.
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: Mudgaurd restrictions   Mudgaurd restrictions EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 11:53 am

You can get away with a temporary mounted rear guard to get a warrant. Some of the guys on the shore use plastic tie wraps to hold them on and are getting away with it. Mudgaurd restrictions DSC00126
My SR with no guards.
Back to top Go down
http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
werndog

PostSubject: Re: Mudgaurd restrictions   Mudgaurd restrictions EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 2:31 pm

Thanks guys I think I will go down the temporary route as I have just had a seat made from the guys at Tuffside and it would be a shame to take away from it with a stock guard.
@Irishjon When you send your SR in for w.o.f do you mount temp. fenders?
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: Mudgaurd restrictions   Mudgaurd restrictions EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 2:55 pm

I got away with the missing rear last time and I have a stock front one I put on when I need it. I'm in the process of making up a removable one for the rear just for WOF's.
Back to top Go down
http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
Coops
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Coops

PostSubject: Re: Mudgaurd restrictions   Mudgaurd restrictions EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 3:26 pm

https://s1121.photobucket.com/user/tim_cooper3/media/GSXCafeRacer_zps4baf0942.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Ok, having issues trying to post a pic directly to here, but if you look at this pic... I get a WOF no issues with this set-up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mudgaurd restrictions   Mudgaurd restrictions Empty

Back to top Go down

Mudgaurd restrictions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Grease Monkeys NZ :: The Build Files :: Build help required-
Jump to: