Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SHW1 Puhoi tunnel ROAD TOLL for MOTORCYCLES

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
jon61

SHW1 Puhoi tunnel ROAD TOLL for MOTORCYCLES Empty
PostSubject: SHW1 Puhoi tunnel ROAD TOLL for MOTORCYCLES   SHW1 Puhoi tunnel ROAD TOLL for MOTORCYCLES EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 3:58 pm

NEWS RELEASE
Motorcyclists heading to and from Northland will have to start paying a toll to go through the State Highway One tunnel near Puhoi from Tuesday. (NOW)

Motorbikes have been exempt from paying the toll on the northern motorway extension - officially known as the Northern Gateway Toll Road - since it opened in January 2009.

The motorbike toll will be $2 per trip, the same as for cars and other light vehicles.

NZ Transport Agency regional director for Auckland and Northland Wayne McDonald said tolling motorcycles was a matter of fairness.

When the toll road opened the cost for motorcycles had been set at zero pending a review of an appropriate tariff.

Public consultations on the issue were held in late 2009 before the NZTA Board approved the $2 tariff this year.

"Toll revenue is used to repay the debt raised to build the highway early, and motorcyclists receive similar benefits from using the toll road as other motorists in terms of time savings and safer journeys.

"Introducing a toll that is the same as that for cars will be fairer for everyone," he said.

Mr McDonald said motorcyclists also had the choice of using free alternative routes along the Hibiscus Coast Highway through Orewa or SH16 between Helensville and Wellsford.

The number of motorcycle trips on the Northern Gateway Toll Road from its opening until December 31, 2009, was 51,000.

Use of the tunnel will be free when construction and other costs are paid off.

That’s a $102,000.00 revenue loss folks; let’s take the windy section through Waiwera now, save that centre piece of your tyre...

You can guarantee that the price won’t go up when there is a GST increase and that is the culprit as 1.78 + 12.5 % = 2.00 but 1.78 + 15% = $2.05 and we don’t have 5 cent bits any more... it's motorcycles that will fund this short fall....

Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: SHW1 Puhoi tunnel ROAD TOLL for MOTORCYCLES   SHW1 Puhoi tunnel ROAD TOLL for MOTORCYCLES EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 7:08 pm

Do you really think they will take the toll off when its paid for? I doubt it. Also, all those huge gantries to hold up the road signs on highway 16; how hard do you think it would be to turn them into toll gates? Just thinking....
Back to top Go down
http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
west end rotangs
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
west end rotangs

PostSubject: Re: SHW1 Puhoi tunnel ROAD TOLL for MOTORCYCLES   SHW1 Puhoi tunnel ROAD TOLL for MOTORCYCLES EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 9:16 pm

i just drive on the shoulder

doesnt take your picture Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://elboneshaker.co.nz
milk bar cowboy
Mechanic
Mechanic

PostSubject: Beat them at thier own game   SHW1 Puhoi tunnel ROAD TOLL for MOTORCYCLES EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 10:48 pm

I almost always go the old way cos I like the corners better than a straight motorway. However, It costs them $2.80. to process a credit card transaction made on the toll free number. Therefore, use the toll free number on your mobile each time you go through for each individual trip (i.e two calls for a return trip) Pay for it on your credit card. That way it costs them more i.e . $1.60 more for each return trip you make than they charge you. It also means you get the use of the four dollars interest free for the rest of the month if you pay your credit card off in full each month. They will soon get the message.
The other thing about what they are doing that annoys me is making bike riders subsidise the car and truck drivers. i.e the heavier the vehicle, the more damage it does to the road surface. Ergo there should be adifferentiation on the costings. I thought it was meant to be user pays?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SHW1 Puhoi tunnel ROAD TOLL for MOTORCYCLES   SHW1 Puhoi tunnel ROAD TOLL for MOTORCYCLES Empty

Back to top Go down

SHW1 Puhoi tunnel ROAD TOLL for MOTORCYCLES
Page 1 of 1