Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jon's Sporty bobber thingie

Go down 
+20
EEL
flea2008
Slaytanica
Jonsoon69
mike
scotty
PAN/SHOVEL
west end rotangs
andrewj
rattlecan ren
milk bar cowboy
Sara
brett7777
Cyco
Cam
Woody
Oldskool007
kershaw
Irishjon
jon61
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 7:16 pm

Cool. Any update on when you are back on the road? We'll have to organise a shed raid after the Wellington Crew have had theirs so we can all start pushing each other to get finished.
I sat in a meeting today in Melbourne where a salesman told teh customer he'd guarantee I would be full time on a project here for the next 4 years. Wasn't that why I took the big pay drop to leave the last job? Anyway, I'll be back in the workshop tomorrow night to pick up that grinder Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
jon61

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 9:30 pm

Dam Jon, well, at least Melbourne has good bike friendly streets and shops to wander.... I’m working on it even tonight as we speak! Ha-ha
The wiring is sort of coming to an end... cert guy back in town soon so shouldn’t be more than 2 weeks... yay!

Cheers, and enjoy regardless...

Cool
Back to top Go down
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
jon61

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 11:18 pm

Bolted up all the polished stuff, 200 hundred dollars of stainless cap screws, mounted the new brake hoses front and rear with brake light switches, run wires through engine to battery box, set up new oil hoses to pump up to tank area,

Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 DSC00794

Ran all the wires to the batt box; wired up fuse holder, ignition unit & switch, black box, main fuse, still got to connect plugs and run final bits... is there something I’ve forgotten?
Just need to search and see if I can leave VOES out, that’s the vac retard unit behind carb... I hear conflicting stories? Then there is another wire not need to run!

Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 DSC00795

How am I going to fit it all in!!! Ha-ha...

Cool
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 11:44 pm

fair bit of plumbing & wiring there me old son!
Back to top Go down
http://bobbers-r-us.weebly.com/
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 6:29 am

that primary inspection cover is going to leak a bit or have you seal off the g/box?
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 7:57 am

PAN/SHOVEL wrote:
that primary inspection cover is going to leak a bit or have you seal off the g/box?

it's a 'total loss' lubrication system like the old bikes, true old school, Jon is gonna have an oil can holder and take out his oil can & lean & down & lube it while he's riding - he also needs a lighter holder for that bic lighter - & that's not including the drink holder & cellphone holder
seriously tho - I think those holes must be blanked off? or does he have a belt under there instead of a chain?
Back to top Go down
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
jon61

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 8:52 am

na, i've been running it like that for ages, it helps keep the cover from oxidising ... affraid

Cool
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 11:51 am

The cam and sprocket covers are looking good. I'll be interested in what you find on the Voes. I have the same problems. I remounted the one on Sara's sporty on the S&S carb but its basically just on a short piece of hose and I don't think its working properly. I'd rather dump it if I can. Same on my Evo when I get round to it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
jon61

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 9:36 pm

Another night in the garage... tryin to get all the little weld dents out of round surfaces... easy to some. Friggn hard 4 me...

Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 DSC00803

Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 DSC00804

But have got the better of it late this evening... grey primer now, whites gone... got told I was stinking the house out... teach me to have an attached garage... note to self... Next house... real workshop! Oh, and dont open garage door right now! affraid

Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
andrewj
Mechanic
Mechanic
andrewj

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 10:04 pm

i saw somewhere that you can ditch the v o e s shit by earthing out the black wire that runs to it. theres plenty of different views. most say dont do it cause it will fuk up your timing etc. i found this comment on the jj tho.

[i]If you want to ditch the VOES you will have to put in a on/off switch in its place, off for start, and on for advance after its warm, remember to switch it off for steep hills or when lugging with the ole lady on the back, Called manual advance.......Roach[/i]
Back to top Go down
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
jon61

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 7:52 am

I got these two off XLforum, just trying to work out how to keep it open... do i ground or unground the wire... is the question!? ?

1. If the V.O.E. Switch is grounded and the ignition module has a wire (green??) connected to it then 'Yes' the module is in its - less advance mode of operation.

Try disconnecting the wire lead to the V.O.E. Switch and taping it off.

See if you notice any difference or "engine pinging" after fully warmed up and under full load or going uphill with a wide open throttle (WOT)?

Next take the wire and bare the end then place it under a screw/bolt/washer in order to ground it to the frame or engine and force the ignition module to go to the advanced mode.

Repeat your test ride and see the difference this makes to the response under lower loads or if it really pings while at WOT?

2. you don't need the VOES. You'll never notice not having it, the VOES wire needs to remain open (ungrounded) or closed (grounded)? To make it run on the power curve all the time. The only downside to not having it is a very small decrease in fuel mileage.
The last guys post... he made an amenment and wasnt sure and was corected so i want to see where it goes before i try... but it sounds good...

Will keep you all posted.

The other thing is I need to check somehow weather when I parked mine how it is now weather its open or grounded now!!!

But they are both saying I don’t really need it, apparently it’s mainly for emissions and other yank compliance drama stuff...

Shocked

Shocked
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 12:24 pm

aaaahhhhhhhhhhh, the joys of filling and sanding, and the smell of lacquer....
Back to top Go down
scotty
Apprentice
Apprentice
scotty

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 8:06 pm

You can run without the voes conected Ive seen it done with no problems from memory all the vacum operated switch does is limit the the total advance of the ignition by about 10 degrees, and Im pretty certain if you leave the wire to the ignition module disconected it will run full advance and if you earth the same wire it will retard the timing pretty easy to test this with a timing light on the bike.

cheers
Scotty
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 8:29 pm

so would it ok to just leave at full advance all the time? could it lead to pinging, or should be ok because it would be the normal ignition timing anyway?
Back to top Go down
scotty
Apprentice
Apprentice
scotty

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 8:57 pm

brett7777 wrote:
so would it ok to just leave at full advance all the time? could it lead to pinging, or should be ok because it would be the normal ignition timing anyway?

It would pay to check your max advance and check if there is any pinging, but I helped a guy who fitted a big side draught carb on sporty and we left the voes disconected and I know of a couple other bikes not using them and they run sweet as

cheers
Scotty
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 9:01 pm

so they are really just something that George Bush and Arnold Scharzenegger legalized in a vain attempt to save the planet
Back to top Go down
scotty
Apprentice
Apprentice
scotty

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Thats about it, It works like a vacum advance unit on a car dissy but on a bike makes fuck all difference.

cheers
Scotty
Back to top Go down
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
jon61

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 10:03 pm

cheers scotty, thats pretty much what i've heard.. cool.

Hey i need to book you for some of your time, will ping you soon, cheers .

Cool
Back to top Go down
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
jon61

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 1:30 pm

Thought I’d give you an overall on the wiring, I have not counted the hours I’ve spent on this...

I’ve always shied away from wiring...(pet hate) so when doing stuff on cars and bikes was cautious... well this job entailed that I get in and replace the whole loom... tuff on the brain.

So I first got hold of a blackbox from Germany which makes it easy to wire all the handlebar buttons and main stuff like lights, starter, indicators, horn... etc, it eliminates all the relays into a small box.

Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 DSC00250

With that wiring diagram and the factory wiring I was really confused so I scanned the workshop manual into a .jpeg and opened in paint, then I whited out all the stuff I didn’t need that the blackbox was going to do, so that left stuff like ignition stuff, oil & nutural idiot lights, brake light switches.. Etc.

Then I drew in the black box and put in its coloured wires and e-mailed the Germans with a couple of finishing questions and all is good... then blew it up to massive poster size (A1) in colour...

Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 DSC00636[/

I think having done and spent time doing this helped me kind of know the logic in how a few things work...

So the wiring began,so to make things a little easier I used 7 core trailer wires and only had to run two lengths from the battery box to the front and it worked a treat...

Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 DSC00915

I used an original Deutsch connector up the front and a mixture of brass bullet and blade connectors in the box.

I have run an Odyssey C310 battery because it’s very small... now I couldn’t find anything on running this on Harleys except unresolved threads on different forums and no definitive answers... only one guy said he used it and it went good, and that was on a drag bike and he ran it between the primary belt drive to save space.. I did note some things relevant to me, it’s just running his ignition and no lights indicators and his bike is running for a couple of minutes at a time...

Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 DSC00639

Well, to date, my bike isn’t on the road, but! it starts and runs the thing, it runs the lights and the charging system seems to be putting in more than is going out?!

I took off the handlebar switch blocks and put in some micro buttons and have found that there are different quality ones about, good idea but spend more for good ones. I have found two that are so sensitive and one stayed on when you turn on ignition so have to replace that. It caused weird things to happen; pulling off the offending corresponding wire fixed everything so it wasn’t too hard to work out. Ours are not the best of suppliers here and I see the buttons sold in various outlets in the USA, I did see one ages ago and I wish I had saved it, they had coloured wires available on the button switches ( 4 wire colour options) instead of just black and looked to be good quality, I did some surfing.. But when your specifically looking you won’t find! Aye.

Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 DSC00757

Well, here it is, tight as a preverbal, but working none the less, I was quite worried for some time I’d got the box a bit small...

Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 DSC00916

Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 DSC00919

The only things I deviated from with the diagram was to eliminate the starter button, I am running the one direct off the starter and eliminated the kill switch using just the ignition, when I did this I forgot to put power to the coil, but no spark caused me to look harder at the, why? So there are tricks... to be learnt... thanks Scotty, I also did not put in the VOES, so am still working on whether to earth it or not, can’t find a definitive answer...

Now all this has been an exercise and after some riding and some time I will pull the bike down to powder coat the frame, repaint the tins and will re-wire with vintage-style braided cotton cloth covered wire, like some you can see in one of the photos.

Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 Icon_cool

Last edited by jon61 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
andrewj
Mechanic
Mechanic
andrewj

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 1:38 pm

cool man. its always good to hear them fire up after so long aye... im putting my wiring of cause i hate it .... might just have to pay some poor bugger to do it.
Back to top Go down
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
jon61

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 1:41 pm

yep, thought the same, but it has given some satafaction!?

andrew, PM me a contact number.
cheers
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 2:20 pm

well done Jon
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 6:35 pm

cool looks like good progress humm wiring is alwayse fun Twisted Evil Suspect
Back to top Go down
Jonsoon69
Apprentice
Apprentice
Jonsoon69

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 9:13 pm

Love it!
Back to top Go down
Slaytanica
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Slaytanica

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 3:48 pm

andrewj wrote:
cool man. its always good to hear them fire up after so long aye... im putting my wiring of cause i hate it .... might just have to pay some poor bugger to do it.

how much you paying? I'll do it for the right price
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jon's Sporty bobber thingie   Jon's Sporty bobber thingie - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jon's Sporty bobber thingie
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next