Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Miller Vincent Tail light wiring 6v ideas anyone???

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

Miller Vincent Tail light wiring 6v ideas anyone??? Empty
PostSubject: Miller Vincent Tail light wiring 6v ideas anyone???   Miller Vincent Tail light wiring 6v ideas anyone??? EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 9:25 pm

wired up a vincent tailight (has 2 single filament bulbs, one for tail, one for stop) to the enfield. it's six volt so i put 2 single filament 6v bulbs in (shop gave me 6v/8w ones). won't light up.
I've put my wire tester on the bulb contacts, and it lights up, so there's power to the contacts in the light housing. but the bulbs wont light up. it had a dual filament lucas type light before this.
I haven't had any trouble using 2 single filament lights in place of a dual filament before, usually plug n play, so has me puzzled.
and yes the light housing is bolted up tight so Im assuming it's earthing okay?
any ideas? have pm'd Scotty so hopin to get some advice from the expert, but thought I'd chuck it on here anyways, in case some smart cookie has an idea
Back to top Go down
http://bobbers-r-us.weebly.com/
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
jon61

PostSubject: Re: Miller Vincent Tail light wiring 6v ideas anyone???   Miller Vincent Tail light wiring 6v ideas anyone??? EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 10:28 pm

shoot... scratch test the bulbs? Rolling Eyes check that they are also making correct contact Idea
Question Question Question

Cool

Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Miller Vincent Tail light wiring 6v ideas anyone???   Miller Vincent Tail light wiring 6v ideas anyone??? EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 10:38 pm

jon61 wrote:
shoot... scratch test the bulbs? Rolling Eyes check that they are also making correct contact Idea
Question Question Question

Cool

thanx Jon, yep will do. they look fine, but it's always better to eliminate these things aye
it seems strange cos my tester light lites up when it touches the contacts...
also thinking,
-try separate wire for ground to see if helps (my test light lites up & that is grounded so ... maybe the bulbs are just not grounded enough?)
-put digital tester on to see what volts/amps comin thru
-check back further down the wiring to see how the stoplight switch is wired in
-or hope that Scotty has an idea
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Miller Vincent Tail light wiring 6v ideas anyone???   Miller Vincent Tail light wiring 6v ideas anyone??? EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 11:05 pm

just tested the bulbs, and they work.
so yeah, im thinkin a bad ground, or loose connect in the housing somewhere, tommorow is another day
gives the paint on the tins time to dry anyway
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Miller Vincent Tail light wiring 6v ideas anyone???   Miller Vincent Tail light wiring 6v ideas anyone??? EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 10:26 am

Solved. The bracket I made for the light is mounted to the lower shock mount, the rubber from the shock mount bushing was stopping the housing from grounding - I hadn't even thought about the rubber bush.
Ran an earth wire & now it works! Cool.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miller Vincent Tail light wiring 6v ideas anyone???   Miller Vincent Tail light wiring 6v ideas anyone??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Miller Vincent Tail light wiring 6v ideas anyone???
Page 1 of 1