Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest

Go down 
+10
drakulina
EEL
mike
PAN/SHOVEL
Woody
DFM
jon61
brett7777
milk bar cowboy
Irishjon
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 10:37 pm

This is the link to the Deus Boundless Enthusiasm Bike Build Off.
Surely we can beat this lot?

http://www.deus.com.au/gallery/deus-bbo-2010-entrants
Back to top Go down
http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 10:37 pm

brett7777 wrote:
Irishjon wrote:
...suggested classes.

So the classes I have picked from this conversation so far are:

Gaylord scooter class
Homosexual lawnmower class
Real man with body hair 650cc & over class
Looks good but does the motor have pistons inside? class
VRod with ape hanger & sissy bar class
I know how to weld but didnt realize it yet class
I actually finished mine loner Doug class

That sounds about right Brett, But you got one of the classes mixed up.
Entry level class 650
Real man with body hair would be 1450cc and over. Laughing
I hope that clears that up for ya bud. Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://ftw-nz.blogspot.co.nz/
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 10:45 pm

The Deus rules were very simple. Here they are:

Ladies and genitals, dust off your Whitworths and recalibrate your King Dongs in readiness. It's time to close your eyes and imagine a happy place, a place without boundaries where old American iron crossbreeds with 80s Japanese sport monsters. Where a rigid rear XR600 is a perfectly good idea and we really can't think why Honda didn't do it in the first place. This is a contest of creativity and resourcefulness: the victor will have spent the least and created the most original bike, from ingots of 18 carat enthusiasm.

Open to all-comers, the bikes will be paraded and judged on the 27th of November at Deus in Camperdown by an esteemed crew of judges from the four corners of the motorcyclism universe. No rules other than it should be done as cheaply as possible, it must run (start and idle) and roll. No points will be awarded for excessive expense. Participants should be prepared to document their builds as a book is planned of all the entries from concept sketch to rolling masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 10:53 pm

Irishjon wrote:
This is the link to the Deus Boundless Enthusiasm Bike Build Off.
Surely we can beat this lot?

http://www.deus.com.au/gallery/deus-bbo-2010-entrants

Yes. I think the bikes that have been built & are being built on this forum put those bikes to shame.
Back to top Go down
http://bobbers-r-us.weebly.com/
milk bar cowboy
Mechanic
Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 10:53 pm

A condition could be that you have to incorporate one of the tacky "Live to Ride" bolt on thingys as a piss take.

I reckon advertise/publicise it on "trade me". I understand Jon's thing about posting progress updates but agree with Brett. Lots of people don't know how to upload pictures (Like me) and don't do the internet thing much, but tutu with bikes a bit. I only really look at this site and "trade me". Maybe we could be real old school and put signs up at bike shops , and at races etc.

Riverhead has heaps of space and parking etc. another one could be Mt Albert primary school. Not far from Eden Park. the Roller Derby girls had a Hot Rod show t and bands etc. there last year. Was a really good venue.
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 10:57 pm

Irishjon wrote:
The Deus rules were very simple. Here they are:

Ladies and genitals, dust off your Whitworths and recalibrate your King Dongs in readiness. It's time to close your eyes and imagine a happy place, a place without boundaries where old American iron crossbreeds with 80s Japanese sport monsters. Where a rigid rear XR600 is a perfectly good idea and we really can't think why Honda didn't do it in the first place. This is a contest of creativity and resourcefulness: the victor will have spent the least and created the most original bike, from ingots of 18 carat enthusiasm.

Open to all-comers, the bikes will be paraded and judged on the 27th of November at Deus in Camperdown by an esteemed crew of judges from the four corners of the motorcyclism universe. No rules other than it should be done as cheaply as possible, it must run (start and idle) and roll. No points will be awarded for excessive expense. Participants should be prepared to document their builds as a book is planned of all the entries from concept sketch to rolling masterpiece.

I like it. Here's one other rule to add to that lot. One or more parts on said bike must be completed/built by at least one other forum member. pale (aye Shaun) Laughing
Mmmmm Roller Derby Chicks. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://ftw-nz.blogspot.co.nz/
milk bar cowboy
Mechanic
Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 11:09 pm

Woody, mmmmmm yeah not really. You been to the Roller derby?
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 8:12 am

milk bar cowboy wrote:
Woody, mmmmmm yeah not really. You been to the Roller derby?
yeah i second that not quite wat ya think
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 8:42 am

That all sounds good. Going to have to do a lot of fliers to chuck out round various shops and events and use Trademe and whatever other media I can get on.
Back to top Go down
EEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
EEL

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 6:44 pm

You guys have got me scared.

I can help with media... and contribute a few ideas re publicity.

I know Mike O'Donnell from Trade Me. He's a car/bike nut and does a regular newsletter called MoD's motors. I'm sure he would be keen on the idea of a low budget biker build off contest...
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 9:15 pm

EEL wrote:
You guys have got me scared.

I can help with media... and contribute a few ideas re publicity.

I know Mike O'Donnell from Trade Me. He's a car/bike nut and does a regular newsletter called MoD's motors. I'm sure he would be keen on the idea of a low budget biker build off contest...

hey good one Eel. I usually read that Mods Motors thing, I imagine a lotta people do.
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 9:21 pm

because I cannot stand the feelings of rejection from the possibility of not winning a prize I have already given myself a trophy please congratulate me on my achievement thankyou all very much
Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 Big-tr10
Back to top Go down
milk bar cowboy
Mechanic
Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 10:29 pm

Brett, that is a rather large trophy (and not aTriumph either). Are you compensating for something there?
Back to top Go down
drakulina
Mechanic
Mechanic
drakulina

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 11:55 pm

Irishjon wrote:

The whole thing sounds like a good DVD making opportunity. Maybe Byron would be into that.

yip I'm in!
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 9:23 am

Eel. Any ideas and help you have on publicity would be great. I'd like this to be a co-operative thing between us all.
We need an official name for this and then I'll put together a short piece on what it is, what the basic rules are and how to register. Then we'll start to get the word out there. Thanks for the enthusiasm guys. Much appreciated.
And Brett, it is quite a big trophy Laughing
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 9:46 am

milk bar cowboy wrote:
Brett, that is a rather large trophy (and not aTriumph either). Are you compensating for something there?

I have 883 & body hair but Woody said i need 1450 to be a real man; I'm not sure where Triumphs fit into the real man equation...but I'm sure Woody knows...
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 1:48 pm

Good points LR, but I'm still willing to give you a race on my twin cam. I had a Magna for a while and I know how to go round corners Laughing
Back to top Go down
Slaytanica
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Slaytanica

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 6:39 pm

[quote="For monkeys with a wrench and ideas, not a wallet and a catalog"[/quote]

I like this one
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 8:40 pm

ha ha ha ah ah aha aha ahhha
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 8:48 pm

ha ha im still laughing
i dont think my bike would shit all over a honda or wat ever it is but i sure could Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 9:12 pm

humm Embarassed Embarassed ok no more from me geesss only pulling ya leg
yeah build off contest john are you thinking along the lines like the hores mag's amature chop off?
thats alwayse a good read and some really grouse bikes being built ant the monster ride at the end !!!!!
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 9:19 pm

You have had a lot to drink lol.
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 10:16 pm

Has there been a retraction woody?
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 10:28 pm

mike wrote:
humm Embarassed Embarassed ok no more from me geesss only pulling ya leg
yeah build off contest john are you thinking along the lines like the hores mag's amature chop off?
thats alwayse a good read and some really grouse bikes being built ant the monster ride at the end !!!!!

Yeah Mike. That's the sort of thing. It's a fair while till September and I want the builders to keep posting pictures of the progress. I'll have something up by next week. I'm still working on the details. I'm going to build a Harley (1600cc) but I'd like to get a load of different bikes. My bike won't be in the competition though, or it would look like a fix. (Not that ther's any chance of me winning anything anyway). Its real boring if they all look the same. We're looking for some inspiration here.
One rule I'll take from Deus is that the bike has to start and tick over. Doesn't have to be legal or on teh road (but lets face it; they're not much use if you can't at least ride it down to teh pub clown )
Back to top Go down
selectedgrub
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 11:03 am

Watching this with interest.
Good idea,
September my ride should be finished.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest   Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Custom Bike Show / Buildoff Contest
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next