Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bike wont fire, Bike is going to be set on fire.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Noeardclown

Bike wont fire, Bike is going to be set on fire. Empty
PostSubject: Bike wont fire, Bike is going to be set on fire.   Bike wont fire, Bike is going to be set on fire. EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 7:39 pm

I have an xs650 special 1978, it has done 19,000k's since new.

I have recently chopped and hard tailed her,

The build is basically finished, Using the original wiring loom it has now been re wired with a few bits changed to the loom,

Before the chop the bike started first pop.

I have a new tank and am running one "on/off" petcock that T's into both carbs.

Original tank had a petcock with prime on each side feeding both carbs separately.

Im running k&n air filters.

What do I do with the two lines that went from the petcock prime to the engine/carb?

What do I do with the two breather lines that went from the top of the engine to air box?

I have new spark plugs and occasionally the engine will back fire, but wont actually fire up, the spark plugs are practically bone dry when I check.

What would have changed with the carbs before and after the chop to make the bike now not run?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Surfer

PostSubject: Re: Bike wont fire, Bike is going to be set on fire.   Bike wont fire, Bike is going to be set on fire. EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 8:18 pm

Hello there,

Try swapping the ht leads over from one plug to the other. More than likely you got the wiring crossed over in the rewire, it's easily done but even easier to sort with changing the leads over.

The extra lines going into the tank are vacuum feed lines to pull the fuel into the carbs. Personally, I reckon you should get rid of them. Block the holes over in the seals behind the carbs. I use a piece of fuel hose with a chopped off golf tee poked in the end, then use hose clips for a tight seal.

Good luck

Back to top Go down
Surfer

PostSubject: Re: Bike wont fire, Bike is going to be set on fire.   Bike wont fire, Bike is going to be set on fire. EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 8:51 pm

The lines are from the crank case breather. They go to the airbox so that any oil dropping out is sucked back into the engine and burnt. Point the lines down and so long as they are not pointing over your rear tyre you will be fine. Or pull them off completely, but you may get a bit of oil sprayed on top of the carbs - at least you'll know that the top of the engine is getting oil.
Back to top Go down
Noeardclown

PostSubject: Re: Bike wont fire, Bike is going to be set on fire.   Bike wont fire, Bike is going to be set on fire. EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Well mr Surfer I now have a running motorcycle thanks to you! Swapped the leads and bam, first pop, I had the prime lines all capped off and my breathers are open.

Your a legend, Thanks so much! I owe you a beer!

Back to top Go down
EEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
EEL

PostSubject: Re: Bike wont fire, Bike is going to be set on fire.   Bike wont fire, Bike is going to be set on fire. EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 8:28 am

Nice work guys sorting that out.

Post some pics of your chop.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bike wont fire, Bike is going to be set on fire.   Bike wont fire, Bike is going to be set on fire. Empty

Back to top Go down

Bike wont fire, Bike is going to be set on fire.
Page 1 of 1