Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

ignition questions???

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

ignition questions??? Empty
PostSubject: ignition questions???   ignition questions??? EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 12:18 pm

doese any one know if an genarator style dizzy can take a later model ignition ie crane hifire or similler?

either with or with mods

thanks mike
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: ignition questions???   ignition questions??? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 9:31 am

Not to sure mike maybe the late dizzys might work but most of the electronic dizzys I have seen are a complete unit I have just picked up a whole vulcan eng unit s/hand from the states bloody nice,will go nicely on my s+s generator cases I just picked up what year mtr is it going on.
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: ignition questions???   ignition questions??? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 12:16 pm

67Genny Shovel Doug. by memory scratch
Back to top Go down
http://ftw-nz.blogspot.co.nz/
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: ignition questions???   ignition questions??? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 9:42 pm

correct
[img][/img]ignition questions??? Photo25_zps7ed161aa

just picked it up last nite fresh off the wharf Suspect

got it running tonite but still need alot ov work bounce bounce bounce

[img][/ignition questions??? Photo27_zps0624e663]
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: ignition questions???   ignition questions??? EmptyWed May 01, 2013 9:23 am

I have an original dizzy here somewhere,I'll dig it out and see if one of the electronic ign fits,OK had a think about this and the problem is the dizzy runs forward not backwards like the cone motors so the normal ign won't work though I can see why you would want to run an electronic ign go to www.vulcanworks.net and check there ign out I am also onto an 40 amp alternator to fit the genny mtr as I want reliable electrics.Whats the plans for the bike how original is it ?.
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: ignition questions???   ignition questions??? EmptyWed May 01, 2013 7:30 pm

its not orignal at all has later front end swing arm and different tank guard etc

would it matter if the dizzy runs backwards? as its only a pick up? aslong as itg geared the same ie half speed as engine
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: ignition questions???   ignition questions??? EmptyWed May 01, 2013 9:19 pm

Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: ignition questions???   ignition questions??? EmptyWed May 01, 2013 9:28 pm

Yea he makes a specific one for 48-69 as do vulcan but I'd say his ones fit the stock dizzy.
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: ignition questions???   ignition questions??? EmptyWed May 01, 2013 9:30 pm

do you think it would matter if it runs in the oppsiet direction ...for fitting crane module in dizzy?
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: ignition questions???   ignition questions??? EmptyWed May 01, 2013 9:57 pm

yea the pickups will be in a different place,I will have a look at my vulcan and a crane unit I have tomorrow to confirm.
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: ignition questions???   ignition questions??? EmptyWed May 01, 2013 10:00 pm

yip could easily make a new plate with the windows cut out

bit hard for me as im only guessing atm till i get to shed on the weekend

if you could take a look that would be grate alien
Back to top Go down
CORO KEV

PostSubject: ignition questions ??   ignition questions??? EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 5:15 pm

I was going to try a Crane HI4 unit in my Pan, But the rotation issue came up. S&S use a reversed gear in their engines to get around that issue. They sell them but are pretty expensive though. I was going down that road as I have dual plugged heads and couldn't get it to run right with points. It would run but the spark would break down at midrange revs, so back to single plugs and points. Anyway points are OK, spark never breaks down at high revs and I do lots of hard on the motor miles. Wouldn't mind some advice on how to run the two coils though. Tried wiring them in series and parellell, didn't seem to make a difference. Was using Harley electronic coils. Mallory makes an electronic dizzy for Gennie motors. Think it's a straight drop in job. Dualfire only though
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: ignition questions???   ignition questions??? EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 6:34 pm

kev,go to www.dynaonline.com I'm pretty sure you need 5 ohm coils for points,the electronic coils won't work unless you are using electronic ign.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ignition questions???   ignition questions??? Empty

Back to top Go down

ignition questions???
Page 1 of 1