Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

$1000 Challenge

Go down 
+5
Road-Rasher
brett7777
Irishjon
Woody
De Ranged
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
De Ranged
Apprentice
Apprentice
De Ranged

$1000 Challenge  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: $1000 Challenge    $1000 Challenge  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 10:52 am

Got the front engine mounts done last night, while having friday night drinks
$1000 Challenge  - Page 2 DSCF2716
$1000 Challenge  - Page 2 DSCF2717

Think I've managed to stick with the original theme, now to sort the back ones
Back to top Go down
Cletus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: $1000 Challenge    $1000 Challenge  - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 12:27 pm

So is it done yet?
These unfinished project files tease a bloke!
Back to top Go down
De Ranged
Apprentice
Apprentice
De Ranged

PostSubject: Re: $1000 Challenge    $1000 Challenge  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 11:22 am

tease you lol I have it sitting infront of a mates project that I'm finishing... which I have to get done before I can get back into this
On a plus note I have solved the issue of the handle bars and the brake pedal don't need to waste money on crack testing... there will be no welds, the back wheel is still a stumper
Hopefully I'll be back into it within a couple of weeks
Back to top Go down
De Ranged
Apprentice
Apprentice
De Ranged

PostSubject: Re: $1000 Challenge    $1000 Challenge  - Page 2 EmptyMon May 05, 2014 9:40 am

LOL I just seen the date on the last post.... a yr ago hmmmm

back at it, got the GN250 back wheel apart, worked out how to fit a 20mm axle and tappered roller bearings into it.... it isn't too bad, 2 of the bearings are just a swop, but the small one under the sprocket side lol yea I'm going to have to weld in some more alloy to replace what I remove.... stripped the hub out yesterday and machined a clean mount to sweat the extra alloy on (will order the alloy today on the way to work) with this on I'm calling in a favor to get it welded by one of the top alloy welders in the bay lol I don't want to throw too much heat into it and warp it.... once I have it back I'll machine it true and cut the bearing seat
The drum brake and the sprocket cover just need drilled to fit the axle and they have replacement larger ID bearings
Did have a bit of drama with the spokes getting the hub out 3 of them decided they would rather snap than undo lol.... oddly had the same number on the wheel I found for donner spokes for the front wheel (the original DR250 hub and disk brake into an 18" crome rim)

Will see if I can pick up some second hand ones today then at night I can sit down and clean them up for paint

Have done a deal with a custom paint artist (moved in next to me) for some bar work on his shop.... so need the bits he is going to paint sorted ... Headlight, tank and rear guard
The headlight needs some mounts and an LED warning light for the indicators
The rear guard needs the stays, chain guard and indicators I'll start with getting the wheel in first lol
The tank needs the gear shift sorted, but to place that I needed the handle bars sorted so I don't hit the shifter at lock

The handle bar turned out to be a good'en the T clamps are 1mm bigger than the lever clamps lol so I had to turn up a bar in the lathe.... 4hrs later, had to do very fine cuts at low speed to stop the harmonic chatter
I have a handle bar
$1000 Challenge  - Page 2 DSCF2818
$1000 Challenge  - Page 2 DSCF2817

Wanted an oldschool look...

Got another project to do for a mate this one should be done by the end of the week so hopefully another update before next yr lol
Back to top Go down
Lenny100

PostSubject: Re: $1000 Challenge    $1000 Challenge  - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 8:58 am

Awesome work, how's the project developed?
Back to top Go down
De Ranged
Apprentice
Apprentice
De Ranged

PostSubject: Re: $1000 Challenge    $1000 Challenge  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 17, 2015 6:42 am

lol I thought the site had shut down.... tried to come on and just got a broken address internet thing, good to see I was wrong

An update... not alot to be honest, I've gotten a new job and they have been working me hard lol but the pay is good, only catch is they are talking I might start bouncing between Auckland and Wellington and possibly others....

The bike isn't much further ahead.... the paint deal is bust lol I don't have time to build barwork for his windows
I talked to the certifier about my plans on the rear wheel, because my answer isn't a bolt on option ie the harley hardtail wheel then it has to go to technical advisory comity to be approved before it can be cert'd.... I've gotten part the way through the paper work for this.... I really need to finish this so I can find out if the project is bust or not

The only thing I've gotten done on it is the seat is done.... finished tooling the leather and laced up onto the base, I'll get a pic when I get my new phone sorted lol mine is hanging on by a wing n a prayer... about all it can do is text, I'm holding onto it in the hope work will come to the party since I need it for work lol
Back to top Go down
TDOG

PostSubject: Re: $1000 Challenge    $1000 Challenge  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 6:46 pm

Nice job im looking at making my own frame do you know much about the CERT/VIN/LVV process?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: $1000 Challenge    $1000 Challenge  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

$1000 Challenge
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Grease Monkeys NZ :: The Build Files :: Project files-
Jump to: