Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Manual Cam Chain Tensioner

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeDodd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Empty
PostSubject: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner   Manual Cam Chain Tensioner EmptyMon Mar 30, 2015 5:52 pm

Hey guys,

I'm after a bit of advice and/or assistance if someone wants a 6 pack of beer!

So the stock cam chain tensioner on "Project Postie" (GN250 brat/café project) gave up the ghost the other day. So never the one to do the easy thing I decided to get a friend to help me CNC up a manual cam chain tensioner. As I'm new to the whole working on bikes (swapping over from the 4 wheel varieties), I've never set one of these before. Is there anyone out there who has experience with these setting these? I've got it set and running again, but I'm not convinced it's 100% right. I'm slightly paranoid about setting it too tight and wearing the shit out of the chain and guide. I've set the valve clearances already so they're spot in the middle of their allowable range. There's still a little bit of noise there - I'm just concerned that I haven't placed enough tension on the chain.

If anyone has any tips or tricks that would be much appreciated! Or if anyone around the central city area doesn't mind having a listen and giving a hand with a fine tune of it, there's a 6 pack on offer and I'll come to you!

Cheers
Mike
Back to top Go down
Coops
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Coops

PostSubject: Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner   Manual Cam Chain Tensioner EmptyMon Mar 30, 2015 6:07 pm

Sadly, I have a poor level of mechanical knowledge... but if I come round and listen to it, can I have a beer lol!.
Ok, not much help I'm afraid, but hope some kind soul will help you out.
Otherwise Mike at Davey Motorcycle is good and very reasonable too.
Back to top Go down
MikeDodd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner   Manual Cam Chain Tensioner EmptyMon Mar 30, 2015 10:08 pm

Haha, thanks Coops, like I said, it's not too bad - I was just hoping to pick the brains of someone who was experienced with these. it runs fine at the moment, and I know a little chain noise ain't the end of the world (as long as it's not slapping around horrendously) but I just want to get it spot on haha. If I don't get it sweet before I might just get the opinion of some of the guys at the next meeting on the 12th.
Back to top Go down
Coops
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Coops

PostSubject: Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner   Manual Cam Chain Tensioner EmptyMon Mar 30, 2015 10:24 pm

Nice one Mike, am I the only one with a poor level of mechanical knowledge? Changing a stator was a big deal for me... the fear of the unknown, thinking if I undo the wrong bolt the engine will spontaneously implode... I'd love to know more... is it possible to do a learn something new session on engines? Surely I'm not the only one amongst us???
Back to top Go down
MikeDodd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner   Manual Cam Chain Tensioner EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 4:32 pm

You probably have a very good point there Coops, Jon and the experienced guys would have a wealth of knowledge on bike engines!! Possibly we could incorporate it with the club bike build? If the engine needs a rebuild or work it could be an ideal opportunity.
Back to top Go down
Coops
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Coops

PostSubject: Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner   Manual Cam Chain Tensioner EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 5:07 pm

Yeah, I'll put it to Jon next meeting.
Sorry to hijack your thread Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MikeDodd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner   Manual Cam Chain Tensioner EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 7:30 pm

Haha no probs mate!
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner   Manual Cam Chain Tensioner EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 10:22 pm

Normally they just have a slipper that is pushed by a spring. You loosen off a bolt that let's the spring push the slipper against the chain and then tighten the bolt back up. On a manual chain tensioner like a primary chain I just tighten it up leaving a little bit of movement in the chain. Harder to do on a cam chain that you can't see.
Back to top Go down
http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
MikeDodd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner   Manual Cam Chain Tensioner EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 10:40 pm

Thanks Jon, yeah that's what I've been trying to do by ear and various other forms of voodo and witchcraft - too loose and it chatters and slaps around, too tight and it whines on the guide. Think I've got it close to right now, still have a slight bit of noise but it sounds a lot more like valve noise than cam chain slap so I'll try and put a stethoscope on it tomorrow and hopefully find the source for certain. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner   Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Empty

Back to top Go down

Manual Cam Chain Tensioner
Page 1 of 1