Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Coops
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Coops

Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?  Empty
PostSubject: Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?    Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?  EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 6:27 pm

A question for the wise, knowledgeable or anyone wanting to put their 2cents worth in.

I am running on my 1981 GSX400 twin pod filters, and, a spunky 2 into 1 exhaust system, trying to keep this a short story.... It never really fit properly when I brought it (the exhaust system), and sounded like it was leaking like a sieve at higher revs from the left header, the left header also touched the frame, so I was always of the opinion it wasn't sealing, therefore leaking and making excessive noise because of that... I took it to a local exhaust fabricator to have it cut and re jigged in order for it to fit properly and not touch the frame and not leak.

I got it back today and by all accounts it's not leaking, but, the previous excessive noise is still there.... the guy checked the exhaust and confirmed with his years of experience it is not leaking, and it appears to or could be air intake noise caused by the pod filters.

Finally I get to the point and ask .. has anyone, running pod filters had anything like this??? I mean it's bloody loud when accelerating, to the point I fear I will become deaf as a result of it (slightly dramatised) ... I insisted the guy rode my bike down the road so he knew I hadn't been taking some kind of psychedelic drugs and that it wasn't all in my head... it sounded great as he gave it a fist full.. zooming past the workshop baarrrmmmm  cheers , it sounds great to everyone else, but while in the mounted position it's just too loud! could pod filters really be causing all this noise, and would pod filter condoms (foam socks/covers) help at all to quieten it down?
Maybe it's a combination of the pod filters and exhaust???

ok, so it wasn't just a question... but a bit of a biography too...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Coops
Back to top Go down
Rudra
Mechanic
Mechanic
Rudra

PostSubject: Re: Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?    Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?  EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 12:23 am

You could try wearing ear plugs.
Back to top Go down
bob51
Mechanic
Mechanic
bob51

PostSubject: Re: Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?    Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?  EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 8:08 am

Or not riding it lol! lol! lol!

Induction noise is a proper barstard. Depending on whether the pods are for show or performance, as to how much smothering you can get away with.
Back to top Go down
HondaSteve

PostSubject: Re: Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?    Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?  EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 8:30 am

I used to have a 74 cb750 with k&n pods and pipe and it whistled like f#*k! I ended up putting foams on with a stainless surround to shut it up.
Back to top Go down
septaorbis
Apprentice
Apprentice
septaorbis

PostSubject: Re: Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?    Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?  EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 9:19 pm

hey coops.
i rode a triumph bonneville with open air filter and open pipes... it was loud as hell.
now with the pods on my cb750 its loud as especially with the drag pipes.
but i give you a advice... they sell small tampons in the supermarket.. put them in your ears.
Back to top Go down
Coops
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Coops

PostSubject: Re: Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?    Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?  EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 10:41 pm

lol!  Good advice... thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?    Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Does pod filters = industrial deafness ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Grease Monkeys NZ :: The Build Files :: Build help required-
Jump to: