Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gory details

Go down 
+7
chop
Cam
EEL
fokpac
Woody
brett7777
francois
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
francois
Apprentice
Apprentice

Gory details - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 11:54 pm

The good news is it runs, after much fiddling and knashing of teeth.

Bad news is the kickstart I HAD to have (SR250 didn't come with one stock) and also didn't wind the return spring nearly enough got caught during startup, whipped and cracked my right engine cover. It leaks a bit of oil, already ordered another one from fleabay.

I need to clean some wiring up and get the tank mounted, after that I'll post a photo, just need some blue tack to fill the cover crack.

I'm sure there will be other shake down details to sort out, but it's getting close.
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 11:15 am

Did you get it sorted Francois?
Back to top Go down
http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
francois
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 6:08 pm

In short, no. I'm waiting on the right engine side cover and working crazy hours. Found a few more problems, nicked some more paint. I made another seat that covers the wires a bit better, had to make a sand bag and beat some aluminum. I should post pictures, from a distance it actually looks done.
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 6:49 pm

It looks more done than mine. It's freezing in my garage so I'm painting my oil tank in the lounger.
Back to top Go down
francois
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Freezing? You live in Auckland. Harden up.

I'm one of those bloody immigrants. Where I came from you have to wear ice cleats to check yor mail and if you piss outside in the winter you have to knock the ice cube off your dick before you put it away. Of course we had central heating, insulated houses and snow plows...

I spent many thousands of dollars to move away from that shit. Once in a life time snow my ass.
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 7:32 pm

I got here by accident but I grew up with ice on the inside of my bedroom walls in winter. Screw that, bring on the heat.
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Oh yeah !!! I worked at this bike shop a we while ago, And we used to drink Liquid Hydrogen just to warm up a little. pale Laughing True story.
Back to top Go down
http://ftw-nz.blogspot.co.nz/
francois
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 7:47 pm

Hydrogen is only in a liquid state at -250 degC and under pressure. You must have some set of balls. You should change your name to tripod, or kickstand.
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 7:48 pm

How's your bike coming Woody. I heard Shaun flying over my place in the chopper so he can't be sorting out your wiring..
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 7:53 pm

francois wrote:
Hydrogen is only in a liquid state at -250 degC and under pressure. You must have some set of balls. You should change your name to tripod, or kickstand.

Well check out the big brain on Francois. Very Happy
Thanks for the info Francois, I'll change it just as soon as I find my scene of humour. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 7:59 pm

Irishjon wrote:
How's your bike coming Woody. I heard Shaun flying over my place in the chopper so he can't be sorting out your wiring..

Just got back from Brizzy and 22degrees sunshine and all that good shit (mind you there Beer still sucks)
As soon as I find my snow shovel I'll be into it.
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Fuck the snow taken me 2-1/2 hours to get home luckily my boss lent me the van but I am still surprised at fuckwit new zealanders who drive to fast,35 kph was about as fast as I wanted to go and they were passing me at about 70-80k's and we weren't driving on tarseal "IT WAS FUCKING ICE YOU MORONS"
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 pm

uck that makes for a long day Doug, How long did it take you to get in there this morning mate.
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 8:21 pm

not bad as I had to pick up a bike and go to the doc's so missed the worse,fark you would be trapped up on the hill at least I'm on the flat and talking to one of the guys who has lived here for 50 years and he has never seen anything like this weather.
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 8:47 pm

Yeah it was fun for the first day or so, Now it just plane SUCKS. Wink
Back to top Go down
francois
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 5:49 pm

A little help here?

Got it all together, looks perfect. Started it up, runs beautifuly. Had the clutch in, shifted into gear, clicked perfectly. Let the clutch out, nothin. I can shift through each gear, feel it shift and nothing happens. There's no weird sounds or clacking. I adjusted the clutch per the manual. Any ideas? I'm going to pull the side cover and see what it looks like to make sure the crank is engaging the drive properly. If it's not that I must have bungled something in the transmission which SUCKS. I have to take the motor out of the frame and completely disassemble it to get at the tranny.

Gory details - Page 2 DSCN5203

I think it may be the lock nut on the push rod adjustment under the clutch basket. If I didn't line it up perfectly the nut is pushing the basket out, which means it can't pull back and engage the drive. Dear lord I hope that's all it is. Need to drain the &^%%$ oil again though.
Back to top Go down
francois
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 5:59 pm

Gory details - Page 2 DSCN5201
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 8:32 pm

You're not going to know until you open it up but it has to be the clutch. It would be more common for the clutch to be engaged and not disengage. Might be the cable or the actuating rod.
Back to top Go down
francois
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 pm

Just picked up a clean drain pan so I can save the oil. I'm guessing it's the lock nut on the push rod keeping the basket from pulling back. Hoping that's it anyway. I've got my eye out for longer shocks too, I need another 2 or 3 cm to make the bike sit perfectly.
Back to top Go down
francois
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 9:31 pm

Well it goes in first through the shed, will bring it out next for a run time I'm home. Turns out it wasn't really my fault. The fiche had the wrong number of clutch plates listed. When I counted on the diagram, yup, one extra. I threw an extra in, seems to work. Makes me want to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4&playnext=1&list=PLED9441CFC963F147
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 9:52 pm

Love it when a plan comes together Laughing
Back to top Go down
francois
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 6:42 pm

I just ordered some 10in shocks, over the 9in ones I have on there now, it should make the bike sit a little nicer. Just touch up paint and a shorter kickstand needed. Now I have to shell out for the rego etc. Might just ride it as is, anybody else running with no live reg or WOF? She goes like hell now for such a little bike.

I'm not happy with the velocity stack, with only a half rear fender the back wheel whips all sorts of shit right into the carb. Went down to Repco to see what they had for K&N filters. An RD-0500 will fit I think, they wanted $140 for it. FUCK YOU. I got it off Ebay for $39, shipped.
Back to top Go down
francois
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 10:17 pm

About as done as it gets, still have some touch up paint and two small oil leaks I'm chasing, but pretty happy with it. I hit 5th gear at about 85mph and the wind is just too much at 100mph, but it's got some left in it. Might be 110-120mph top speed.

Gory details - Page 2 DSCN5210
Gory details - Page 2 P1010006
Gory details - Page 2 DSCN5205
Back to top Go down
Al

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 8:50 am

Looks good
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gory details   Gory details - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Gory details
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Grease Monkeys NZ :: The Build Files :: Project files-
Jump to: