Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New to the build

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lenny100

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: New to the build    New to the build  EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 7:49 am

Hi, I'm after some help/advice with regards to customizing my VF750f into a bobber, probably not the easiest bike to convert but I own one and am on a tight budget, my thoughts are along the lines of lowering the backend by shortening the eye to eye length of the rear shock(this shouldn't affect the shocks performance) and trimming the height of the seat thickness down, obviously shortening the rear of the bike as well.
Raising the front end by modifying the top Yoke to take wider bars fitted to risers and siding the fork legs through which should raise the front end by approximately an inch and a half
Forward controls, custom pipes and a better paint job and bang easy as!
Now I obviously know it not going to be that easy (if only) but can anyone find any major fault with my cunning plan?
Thanks for your help/ advice
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 8:28 am

The frame is going to make it difficult to pull off a bobber look but if you google naked vf750f you will find a few very nice cafe racers with single seats and the fairing taken off. I'd start from there rather than lowering it and see what else you can take off it to make it lighter and skinnier.
Back to top Go down
http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
Coops
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Coops

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 9:12 am

What Jon said.

When it comes to customising bikes, it’s all about personal preference….. for less stress I would follow Jon’s advice and for that particular bike go with Rat Café Racer kind of bike.

But at the end of the day, it’s your bike and your vision, whatever you decide to do… post some pictures of your progress.
Back to top Go down
Lenny100

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 9:29 am

I've only found one VF750f online that's been chopped/bobbed and it looked okish, they cut the seat rails and lowered them and converted it to a dual shock set up which I'm really not keen on,
I might remove the rear shock and replace it with a solid bar just to mock up how it will look, before cutting the shock
I think it's going to be a challenge to get it looking right due to the frame configuration your right and the cafe racer look would be a bit easier, and could look really good but I'm keen on the bobber look lol it looks ok in my head lol
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 10:17 am

Go for it but post lots of progress pic as you go. It's always good to do something different.
Back to top Go down
Lenny100

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 10:39 am

Will do, and I'll probably be asking heaps of annoying questions to haha
Back to top Go down
Lenny100

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 8:33 pm

Well I made a small start this evening by taking off some of the bikes plastics and found some interesting welding on the frame behind the engine, I'm no expert but it looks to me like a blind chimp with a hook for an arm has had a go whilst on acid! I also found a small crack on the left hand section of frame that is removable to make dropping the engine out easier! And on closer inspection the rear section of frame looks twisted, so I'm guessing it's been crashed/hit on the left rear, not sure how it managed a WOF which was on it when I purchased it
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 8:36 pm

Time to build a new bobber frame Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Lenny100

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 8:47 pm

This is what I was thinking
Back to top Go down
Lenny100

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 8:51 pm

How hard is it to build one? Bearing in mind I'm new to this.
I do have a mate who's mustard with a welder and I could use his well equipped workshop, or is it worth hardtailling the original frame?
Back to top Go down
Lenny100

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 8:52 pm

A VF750f hard tail bobber now there's something different
Back to top Go down
Lenny100

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 8:30 am

Does anyone know any frame builders who wouldn't mind having their brains picked or who are good and cheap?
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 9:42 am

There's a link on here somewhere for a frame jig. If you have a mate with a workshop you should be able to put one together and have a go. I'd start from scratch given the way your current frame is made. There have been some really good build threads on here with frames being made.
Back to top Go down
Lenny100

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 2:16 pm

I've had a look at a few on here and on YouTube and it looks like a heap of fun, so I think that's the route I'm going to head,
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 2:49 pm

Cool. Don't forget to post pictures.
Back to top Go down
Lenny100

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 3:00 pm

I will do, wish me luck haha
Back to top Go down
Coops
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Coops

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 8:51 pm

Lenny, how's the new frame coming along? not trying to put any pressure on, just a friendly reminder that we love seeing progress pictures Very Happy
Wow, such a nosey bunch...

Anyway, hope the project is coming along, remember there is a monthly meeting coming up this weekend Sunday the 12th in Helensville - Mill Rd.

Coops
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New to the build  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the build    New to the build  Empty

Back to top Go down

New to the build
Page 1 of 1