Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bike mechanics?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Motnz
Mechanic
Mechanic
Motnz

Bike mechanics? Empty
PostSubject: Bike mechanics?   Bike mechanics? EmptySun May 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Had a look at a Kawazaki Z200 today, 35000 k's and in good nick. The owner said the bike was running shit so he replaced the carb with a brand new mikuni carb and pod filter from the states. The bike hasnt been tuned or anything, just bolted it on. Would this be the reason that the bike isnt running? When i went to see it, the guy started it, had it going for 30 seconds and it died. Couldnt restart it. The plug was clogged with oil and there was oil coming out from the exhaust.

Is it fucked or does it just need a tune?

Tom
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

Bike mechanics? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bike mechanics?   Bike mechanics? EmptySun May 22, 2011 10:44 pm

A dodgy carb would certainly cause teh starting problem but the oil in the exhause sounds a bit more serious. Depends on how cheap he wants to get rid of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
Motnz
Mechanic
Mechanic
Motnz

Bike mechanics? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bike mechanics?   Bike mechanics? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 7:45 am

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. But if its running rich it will be flooding right? That would explain the oil/fuel coming out of the manifold and sparkplug? Gonna ring mechanics today
Back to top Go down
Motnz
Mechanic
Mechanic
Motnz

Bike mechanics? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bike mechanics?   Bike mechanics? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Spoke to red Barron today. They said stay away from it. I told the owner and he's offered it to me dirt cheap cos he knows he isn't going to sell it for any more. How much am I lookin at for a complete rebuild of the engine
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

Bike mechanics? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bike mechanics?   Bike mechanics? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 8:23 pm

if the mikuni was the exact right one for that motor, then mikuni's are pretty much plug n play. But there are some generic carbs on the US market that may or may not work for what they are being marketed for.
if you send it to a mechanic it will cost you maybe 80 an hour for the rebuild plus rings, gasket set, oil, etc. Depends what the mechanic finds when he opens it up, & how long it takes him to put it all back together. Sometimes bores have to honed, cracked heads welded up, stuff like that, it all depends how hard a life it had. good compression is a good sign.
the mechanic probably wont know for sure until he opens it up tho. if that carb's not the right one you might have to get another; maybe worth getting the model number of the carb & find out if it's one that Mikuni prescribe for that bike?
then add 20%
red baron might be right
Back to top Go down
http://bobbers-r-us.weebly.com/
Motnz
Mechanic
Mechanic
Motnz

Bike mechanics? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bike mechanics?   Bike mechanics? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 8:28 pm

Carb was told by the supplier that it was the right one for the bike. Gonna ring roud for a price for a rebuild tomo unless anyone Herr has any ideas
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

Bike mechanics? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bike mechanics?   Bike mechanics? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:13 pm

I'd only get it if you feel like a complete rebuild. Its usually better to pick up a cheap runner. Might only be something simple but personally I wouldn't risk it. If you want to learn bike engines then it would be as good a place to start as any.
Back to top Go down
http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
fokpac
Mechanic
Mechanic
fokpac

Bike mechanics? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bike mechanics?   Bike mechanics? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:46 pm

if its the one just closed on an a website near you...... Rolling Eyes it seems alot of dollar for a non runner.if you not able to do alot of the work yourself,it could end up costing a small fortune.
my opinion is to keep looking Laughing
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

Bike mechanics? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bike mechanics?   Bike mechanics? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:17 pm

Motnz wrote:
Carb was told by the supplier that it was the right one for the bike.

Hopefully it will be a good carb then & do what it was told Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://bobbers-r-us.weebly.com/
fokpac
Mechanic
Mechanic
fokpac

Bike mechanics? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bike mechanics?   Bike mechanics? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:20 pm

aw yip like a smart carb...........wicked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bike mechanics? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bike mechanics?   Bike mechanics? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bike mechanics?
Page 1 of 1