Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Paul's sporty bob

Go down 
+7
mike
PAN/SHOVEL
brett7777
Woody
jon61
kershaw
Paulomatic
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Paulomatic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paulomatic

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 7:58 pm

Well I thought it's about time I posted some progress pics.
I bought a 94 1200 sporty off trademe from a guy in Wanganui. It needed re-vinning after the last owner let the rego laspse, so after changing a few easy things (brakes and whatnot) she was back on the road. About 2.5 minutes after I had the new registration label and number plate in my hand I started filling a large cardboard box with all the unnecessary BS that Harley ship their bikes out with (indicators, speedo, chrome, front fender, pillion gear). I've got a Ledsled customs weld on hardtail kit on the way from Ohio, and I'm about to order a 2" under black and chrome springer front end for it too. I've set myself a deadline to have it all finished by Kumeu next year, so watch this space!

I just picked up a smaller peanut tank off AJ, so I PA10'ed the shit out of it and gave it a slight lift.

[img]Paul's sporty bob DSC04850[/img]

[img]Paul's sporty bob DSC04785[/img]

[img]Paul's sporty bob DSC04786[/img]

[img]Paul's sporty bob DSC04787[/img]
Back to top Go down
kershaw
Mechanic
Mechanic
kershaw

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 12:58 pm

good stuff paul looks a darn site better then the original.

guna be a killer ride for sure
Back to top Go down
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
jon61

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Familiar... you won’t regret at all doing the hardtail... fun as,

Just real hard seeing the bike but can’t ride when you’re working on it.... it will also sort that rear fender I don’t know why they shove it way up like that.

Well done, anyway the mod’s so far, are all good.

Have fun with it.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Nice Paul, And a lot of bike for the $$$$$$, I'll be keeping an eye on this one for sure.
Back to top Go down
http://ftw-nz.blogspot.co.nz/
Paulomatic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paulomatic

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 8:07 pm

Cheers guys, I'm really having a lot of fun mucking around with this bike, the last machine I built was my 67 Buick Riviera, and seeing progress in a car of that size take a lot more hours (and $) than what a bike soaks up.
I can't wait for that hardtail to turn up, I got the Ledsled customs sportster kit, it comes with the hardtail itself, oil tank, battery box, and rear fender, that cost $1100 US and the shipping was $270 from Dayton Ohio so I think that's a lot of bang for buck.
I'm trying keep the bike on the road while I build it, it's a pain in the arse doing it like that but I love riding it so much I can't bring myself to strip it back and clean up the frame just yet, I'll do it when I get into the rear end.

Paulo
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 3:18 pm

lookin forward to seein the hardtail on there dude, nice goin
& the springer front end sounz mean
Back to top Go down
http://bobbers-r-us.weebly.com/
Paulomatic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paulomatic

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 3:54 pm

I finally got off my bum and bought myself an Argoshield bottle for my mig. I thought I'd better put it to good use, so I figured slamming the rear of the bike is a good place to start, just while I'm waiting for the hardtail kit to show up.

I started by making a small spring compressor, then I cut 2-3/4 inches off the shock shaft and re-welded the eye back onto the shaft. Next to go were the springs, I cut 6 coils off them and threw it back together. It's a LOT lower now, I'll just have to drop the front a bit now.

Paul's sporty bob DSC04788
Paul's sporty bob DSC04803
Paul's sporty bob DSC04789
Paul's sporty bob DSC04791
Paul's sporty bob DSC04794
Paul's sporty bob DSC04799
Paul's sporty bob DSC04798
Back to top Go down
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
jon61

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

AHhhhhhhh .... thats better..

well done,
Keep chopping that sportster! cant wait to see your hardtail arrive..

cheers

Paul's sporty bob Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 9:57 am

hey Paul that lower back end looks much better, Sportsters sit way too high stock, in my opinion. (HD finally realized that & started puttin out the 'Low' models). (Yeah b4 that there was the Hugger, but I dont think it was quite as low)
Did you lower the front?
Hardtail arrived yet?
Back to top Go down
Paulomatic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paulomatic

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 8:39 pm

I had a nice surprise today at work, the hardtail finally turned up. I'm really happy with it, the welds are awesome and it's got some nice lines on it. The rear fender had a cool look, I can't wait to get it all fitted up.

Paul's sporty bob DSC04819
Paul's sporty bob DSC04820
Paul's sporty bob DSC04821
Paul's sporty bob DSC04822
Paul's sporty bob DSC04823
Paul's sporty bob DSC04824
Paul's sporty bob DSC04825
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:09 pm

Shit hot Paul and thanks for the pic's. Wink
So what does it owe you sitting on the floor ?
Back to top Go down
Paulomatic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paulomatic

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:32 pm

Cheers Woody, it owes me bang on $2000 kiwi as it sits, somehow I didn't have to pay gst on top, I asked the courier driver why not and he reckons that the stuff that comes in on USPS from the US slips in under the tax radar for some reason.

Now I've got some work to do eh! Just as the weather is coming right I'll be pulling the bike to bits, dammit what happened to winter!
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Sounds like a pretty sharp deal Paul. And don't worry it won't take you long to weld that on should be going again by the end of the weekend. Wink
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:50 pm

Yea pat and his boys do good work,tried to buy a guard of him at sturgis last year but 10mins before I got there some guy came and brought the whole lot, as for no gst ups charge's like a wounded bull they can go get f**ked as far as I'm concerned they tried to charge me duty on a fueling oil pump and I had to remind them there is no duty on motorcycle parts ended up having an arguement with the stupid bitch until her boss came out and had a shit fight with him as will, told them to look it up on the customs website as I worked at an importer at the time,they did but still thought they were right pricks so just remember there is no duty on motorcycle parts.rant over
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:53 pm

Arrgh sorry thought it was sent ups not usps which are good bastards have had plenty of big shit sent though usps and no probs.
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:57 pm

fek 2k is a dam good price i think considtering its got fender oil tank batt box bla bla bla
get the grinder out and start cutting Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Bugger!! I've got stiffed for GST loads of times on parts as well as 17%VAT on the German side. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
Irishjon
Admin
Irishjon

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:12 pm

While I think about it they nailed me twice. Once for GST on the parts and again for GST on the shipping and that was in the customs office in Auckland!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.greasemonkeys.co.nz
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:17 pm

My understanding is that anything over 1k qualifies for gst, parts or not. But I dont wanna go on about it, more power to you dude !
Anyway, u must be real glad u didnt have to pay it, did u give the courier driver a big hug?
Hey that's a very good deal with all that included, pretty amazing really. & it looks good too.
Im very interested looking at the different hardtail sections that are available - the others I've seen, the frame at the top gets chopped further back, sorta under the seat; yours gets chopped under the tank somewherz, is that right?
Back to top Go down
57 rider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 12:50 am

I think u could get all ur money back,PLUS, if u replicate that HARDTAIL or get some trusted person to do a blueprint. Sorry if copying something like that offends people, but $2000 is $2000 and we need this stuff here in NZ without that pricetag.
Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 6:27 am

Irish the vat should have come of the item as it is like here where you claim back the gst if the item is exported oversea's,I've had a few item's from the uk and mentioned this and they were surprised I knew this,in other words I would have got stiffed the vat if I didn't no about it.
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 9:26 am

57 rider wrote:
I think u could get all ur money back,PLUS, if u replicate that HARDTAIL or get some trusted person to do a blueprint. Sorry if copying something like that offends people, but $2000 is $2000 and we need this stuff here in NZ without that pricetag.

Woody is workin on an XL hardtail section. But could anyone in NZ do all that - fender, oil tank, battery bracket, plus frame - & beat 2000? if they were gonna allow for their hours?
I think in NZ it would be better to just do a hardtail section by itself, without the extras, & that would market quite well.
I get asked for them, so I've thought about bringing them in to sell, cos it looks like they would sell no probs. I haven't so far, out of fairness to Woody, cos I knew about his project.
Back to top Go down
Paulomatic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paulomatic

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 8:14 pm

That's good to know about motorcycle parts being tax free, it make building a bike a bit more affordable.
This weekend I got a bit more done on the bike, got the frame cut and the hardtail sitting on there. The more I look at that hardtail the more I like it. When I was stripping the stock rear end, I noticed there are two dowels on the lower two trans mount bolts, and low and behold there was recesses in the hardtail trand mount plate for two dowels. Ledsled really have made it a piece of piss to fit. Next up I'll tack the hardtail to the frame, then pull out the motor so I can fully weld the tubes and tidy up the frame ready for paint.

Paul's sporty bob DSC04826
Paul's sporty bob DSC04827
Paul's sporty bob DSC04830
Paul's sporty bob DSC04831
Paul's sporty bob DSC04832
Paul's sporty bob DSC04833
Paul's sporty bob DSC04834
Paul's sporty bob DSC04835
Paul's sporty bob DSC04836
Paul's sporty bob DSC04837
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 8:28 pm

the old choppadectomy !
that ledsled kit is just too cool
that dowel setup is very handy, easy to line up & would keep everything straight
do they give u a measurement of where to chop the top frame tube?
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 8:34 pm

shit yeah its gona look awsome mite wanna weld as much as you can with the motor bolted in tight to keep every thing in line Cool

o i cant see from the pics is there a mount or tab for the rear calliper?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Paul's sporty bob Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob Empty

Back to top Go down

Paul's sporty bob
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next