Grease Monkeys NZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grease Monkeys NZ

A Site for Garage Built Custom Motorcycles with that Vintage Vibe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Paul's sporty bob

Go down 
+7
mike
PAN/SHOVEL
brett7777
Woody
jon61
kershaw
Paulomatic
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Paulomatic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paulomatic

Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 8:41 pm

I asked Patrick from ledsled about measurements and he said he didn't measure any he does ,just use the motor as a jig, once I saw the dowels it all made sense.
Yeah good call about welding the toobs Mike! There's no mount for the caliper, the stock setup will work I think, I'm still a bit undecided on brakes yet, whether to use the factory ones or some nice shiny new ones
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 8:46 pm

yeah brakes humm sorta need em Twisted Evil just wondering cos ive been staring at mine for a cople ov day now and not to sure how to mount
Back to top Go down
Slaytanica
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Slaytanica

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 8:56 pm

something similar to this should work

Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 25gqrv9
Back to top Go down
Paulomatic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paulomatic

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 8:57 pm

I was looking at Jon's rear brake, it might be the way to go, just a simple tab and rod to the caliper.
Back to top Go down
Paulomatic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paulomatic

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 8:59 pm

Shaun I think you bet me by about 3/8ths of a second
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 9:05 pm

SWEEEEEEEEET Nice one Paul. Look forward to seeing it on it's wheels. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://ftw-nz.blogspot.co.nz/
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 9:21 pm

yeah the rose joint idea works fine but i was gona stick the calliper in between the frame tubes

ooops sory to hyjack ya thread back to you
Back to top Go down
Paulomatic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paulomatic

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 9:46 pm

Na it's all good Mike, the more ideas thrown around the better.
Back to top Go down
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
jon61

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 1:02 pm

Sweet as.. really takin shape now..

things keep going this fast, you'll be rid'n soon

its a nice lookin end. be cool to see it on it's wheels..

Cool
Back to top Go down
Paulomatic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paulomatic

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 9:36 pm

I've got a bit more done on the old girl, progress is really picking up pace now.
I pulled the motor out to finish weld the hardtail sections, and threw a bit of rattle can gloss black around the inside of the frame while it was out. I'm just gonna ride it rattle canned for the summer to work out the bugs then strip it down again when I know it's sorted.

I bought a rear caliper off ebay from a 2002 1200 sporty for 40 bucks and fitted that up, I'm really happy how it turned out. I was hoping to get it between the two frame tubes but it just would not fit. I reckon it looks mint where it is anyway.

The stock belt was too short because of the 2" stretch, so a 136 tooth one is on there now.

Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 DSC04855
Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 DSC04879
Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 DSC04880
Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 DSC04881

Back to top Go down
PAN/SHOVEL
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
PAN/SHOVEL

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 9:44 pm

you might want to raise the seat a bit as you will get a sore back,I am speaking from experience here .
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Not far to go now Paul, Looking good too man. Wink
Back to top Go down
jon61
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
jon61

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 8:21 am

PAN/SHOVEL wrote:
you might want to raise the seat a bit as you will get a sore back,I am speaking from experience here .

looking fine.. real tidy unit there.. quite a clean look.

as pan said, id look at your seat, any accel and you will find your off the back.. mine looks not too bad but still not flat enough for drags Twisted Evil unless i hang on real hard

keep up the posts, enjoying the build.

Cool
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 9:20 am

Hey Paul can you still adjust your rear wheel back and forward ? Or will it go into bind ? By memory the stock placement should have the mount tab on a horizontal plane. IE parallel with the ground and Axel slot. Just a thought mate. confused Wink
Back to top Go down
57 rider
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 6:08 pm

That is looking soooo much how I would have my sporty!! LOL Gud shit Paul.
Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 8:05 pm

looks good, i think i spot a la rosa seat there, are the hairpins la rosa or the other type? the other type dont compress much which means the seat height might work ok, the la rosa springs compress heaps (thinner gauge).
that looks like the stock 2 piston caliper, good deal there, & they pull the bike up real well. yeah, I see what Woody is saying, my belt hasn't needed tightening over 15000kms since new & I gather that Sporties are never at the front of the adjustment slot even from the factory. (am i right in thinkin that's a belt drive on there, I thought most hardtails needed chain conversion so that's pretty good if that one allows for the belt...sweet). Does the caliper have a bit of room to move back & forth anywayz?
it's gonna turn out great mate, nice to see another Sporty Bobber gettin ready to cruise the streets
girls bike my ass

Last edited by brett7777 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://bobbers-r-us.weebly.com/
Paulomatic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paulomatic

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 8:12 pm

Cheers for the comments everyone.
I see what you're saying Woody, I tensioned up the belt before I welded the tab on so it should be ok for a while, but if I do have to adjust, the Harley calipers have a kind of butterfly shaped slot for the tab to fit into, so the caliper can move on a different angle to the axle plate slots.
I'll see how I go with the seat, maybe I over compensated, I got the shits with the stock seat and mid controls, I kept sliding forward so theres no chance of that anymore!

Brett, you've got a keen eye! The springs are the ones that came with the seat, so I guess La Rosa brand, they're pretty strong. I'll probably get some coils eventually, got some other stuff to sort first though. That caliper is a 4 piston one so stoked.

Are any of you guys interested in a Bitter end old school choppers brake mounting kit? I got one in but I can't use it. I'm open to offers, PM me or whatever if keen. Here's the ebay ad

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rigid-Frame-Rear-Brake-Caliper-Bracket-USE-OEM-PARTS-/200286020301?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ea1fa22cd

Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 7418_12
Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 DSC04882

Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 8:19 pm

oh they have 4 pistons, that's good --- same as my 03, they really haul up, no need for Performance Machine etc imo
yeah i just bought another la rosa myself for the honda project (broke my own rules) & i think i saw your one in my web travels
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Roger that Paul. scratch

girls bike my ass
[/quote]

OK then." YOUR ASS IS A GIRLS BIKE Brett" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Lay off that medication just a little bit there bud. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 8:40 pm

hell yeah thats comming along real well
just wondering y you couldnt use the calliper mount you bought? would the calliper not fit between the rails ?

Back to top Go down
brett7777
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
brett7777

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 9:10 pm

Woody wrote:

Lay off that medication just a little bit there bud

my meds are from Heaven baby
Back to top Go down
Woody
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
Woody

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 9:23 pm

brett7777 wrote:
Woody wrote:

Lay off that medication just a little bit there bud

my meds are from Heaven baby

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Paulomatic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paulomatic

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 9:29 pm

Na Mike the freakin thing wouldn't fit without grinding a shitload out of the caliper. A bit pissed about that coz it wasn't a cheap part!
Back to top Go down
mike
Serial Bike Abuser
Serial Bike Abuser
mike

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 9:47 pm

bummer it doesnt look outa place were it is tho afro
Back to top Go down
Paulomatic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paulomatic

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 5:35 pm

It's about time I posted some progress pics.
I've got the rear fender all mounted up, I'm pretty happy how it sits nice and close to the tyre. I slipped on some 5/8" copper tube onto the fender mounts for a nostalgic look. I decided to just scotch brite and clear coat the oil tank and fender, turned out nice and I'll do the tank like that too when I get around to it. Wiring loom was built and fitted in a few hours, there aren't a lot of circuits on this bike! I'm just waiting on a few parts from the States to get it on the road. I cut down the stock pipes as a stop gap for now, and I've got some 8" baffles on the way to quieten it down a bit, as you can imagine it's pretty loud, then I'll wrap them to get me on the road.

It's getting close now, I can almost taste the bugs in my teeth.

Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 DSC04898
Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 DSC04899
Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 DSC04904Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 DSC04916
Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 DSC04917
Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 DSC04914
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paul's sporty bob   Paul's sporty bob - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Paul's sporty bob
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next